Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2021, 04:26 AM

Default Sell PT license that comes with Carbon

Can this license be sold separately, or is it somehow tied to the hardware unit it's sold with?

Given it currently comes with a year of Ultimate, if one has the software already, selling this version could defray the cost a little.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Sell PT license that comes with Carbon

I'm pretty shure there's no 'link to the HW', but I do know that iLok licenses can't be transferred for the first ninety days. I got a SSL UC1 last summer that came with a license for the plugins. I couldn't sell that license, so I sold my old license.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm pretty shure there's no 'link to the HW', but I do know that iLok licenses can't be transferred for the first ninety days. I got a SSL UC1 last summer that came with a license for the plugins. I couldn't sell that license, so I sold my old license.
I'm talking about without any prior activation.
Like, buy the Carbon and sell the Pro Tools license out of the box, as if it was just purchased separately from a store. So it's not yet tied to any user.

Is that possible?
Old 12-17-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey MTC View Post
I'm talking about without any prior activation.
Like, buy the Carbon and sell the Pro Tools license out of the box, as if it was just purchased separately from a store. So it's not yet tied to any user.

Is that possible?
No. I asked about this before and the straight answer from Avid was no. The moment you buy the unit, and the PT license, it's tied to your iLok account, and you can't transfer it before 90 days have passed.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:27 PM

I’m not sure about selling the license separately, but I’m sure it’s similar to acquiring an automobile. It can be given as a gift. So, it could be registered to another party. There’s a strong possibility the hardware and software are tied together, however. So, It might be a new unit, but avid might be following the old business model.
That means a transfer of ownership form between parties. All this talk about selling hardware or software, or items tied to each other doesn’t mean much for a sale gone wrong. It’s an additional layer of protection that can be induced either on the software or hardware level. So basically, selling software or hardware without the transfer process could be reported as lost or stolen for either item for a sale gone bad. It could be a stolen vehicle so to speak that’s being sold after the fact if the transfer doesn’t take place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 12-17-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
I’m not sure about selling the license separately, but I’m sure it’s similar to acquiring an automobile. It can be given as a gift. So, it could be registered to another party. There’s a strong possibility the hardware and software are tied together, however. So, It might be a new unit, but avid might be following the old business model.
That means a transfer of ownership form between parties. All this talk about selling hardware or software, or items tied to each other doesn’t mean much for a sale gone wrong. It’s an additional layer of protection that can be induced either on the software or hardware level. So basically, selling software or hardware without the transfer process could be reported as lost or stolen for either item for a sale gone bad. It could be a stolen vehicle so to speak that’s being sold after the fact if the transfer doesn’t take place.
It's quite simple; you buy it, you get:
A Carbon
A PT Ultimate license deposited to your iLok account,
and iLok won't let you transfer it to another account the first ninety days.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
It's quite simple; you buy it, you get:
A Carbon
A PT Ultimate license deposited to your iLok account,
and iLok won't let you transfer it to another account the first ninety days.

You also get a standard perpetual license of Pro Tools as per the original Carbon package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2021, 03:35 PM

I just read the promo. It’s a not for resale product on the software, and you can’t transfer the ilok asset after the initial sale. So, essentially it’s dead in the water without the software. The buyer would have to purchase the software separately to get the hardware to keep working if you decided to sell the hardware as long as it’s not turnkey. Like I mentioned earlier, the hardware could probably be transferred with a transfer form, but after reading the promo, I’m not too sure about that. So, sell the hardware, and have the purchaser buy the software separately from someone else in addition if you plan on selling it.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:40 PM

So it's an NFR?

I want to sell it out of the box, so perhaps I can NOT register it to my ilok account and sell it before it's assigned to anyone?
Old 12-18-2021, 03:56 PM

You can somehow assign it as a gift, but after the software is registered, it can’t be transferred. There might have to be a transfer of ownership process similar to the old hd systems. Like I mentioned, it’s an additional protection for owners against sales gone bad. So it’s similar to “demoing” it unless you decide to keep it.