Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Default headphone mixes.. sends.. help please

I have a couple of questions..
first, If i want to plug in some headphones in output 3, how do I easily send every track to output 3 so I can hear every track. I know how to apply a send to a track, and raise the fader, but do I have to sit there and do it for every track? It seems tedious. I notice I can alt-shift plugins and drag them to copy and paste plugin info on a new track, is there a similar keystroke to copy and paste sends, or busses...
also, i have my headphones plugged into output 3, why is it only mono??? It would make since to output everything to 3/4, but how do you plug headphones into 2 1/4" jacks.. does this make sense?

Another thing. I want to get a small headphone distribution amp. Know this would solve my problem of having more than 1 headphone listening to mixes, but How would I create a different mix in the singers headphones if need be. Does this go back to the send issue above??

basically this is my overall question.
How do I have 2 headphones (or more), both in stereo, and be able to change the mix in one of the pair without changing the actual faders in the session.

and if it involves a headphone amp, any suggestions for one around 50-75 dollars.

thanks a bunch
tim
Old 08-25-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: headphone mixes.. sends.. help please

Hate to point out the obvious but if you have a mixing board or line mixer you can send your digi outputs to it. Plug one headset direct into the digi and one into the mixer/linemixer for the secondary mix. if you don't have a mixer you can pick up a cheap line mixer that will alow you to adjest levels and panning only for your singer's mix....hope this helps.
-bl
Asus A7V8x-x, XP2500+ Barton, 1GB DDR333,
120GB x2 HDDs, ATI Radeon 9000
DaveC = 32 + 6 aux
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 PM

Tim go to my website below. In there is a HELP section that I am starting that shows you how to do a headphone mix. You will see it.

http://www.tbrstudio.com/Help.htm

Good luck and let me know!
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 PM

Well, no I don't have an external mixer, and don't plan on getting one..
Inteldoc.. makes since. It's what i was doing now. but tell me, If my singer wants the whole song in his headphones, that means i have to buss every track. This is what i was asking if there is a quick way to do.. like alt-ctrl for plugins..

it seems tedious to have to buss 28 tracks.. lot of mouse clicks..

Old 08-26-2003, 01:21 PM

Alt Key I believe, hold it down, select the BUS ya want and it will go thru the whole group selected. So if you have a guitar group and want it, select the group, Hold ALT and make bus. It will then shoot it across the bunch. I think that you have to go in and manually set each level however. Not sure if there is a quick key for that? Probably so, just never needed it.

If it is not Alt, then it is Ctrl. One ot the other, just cannot remember.

Hope this helps!

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 AM

also, i have my headphones plugged into output 3, why is it only mono??? It would make since to output everything to 3/4, but how do you plug headphones into 2 1/4" jacks.. does this make sense?

if it involves a headphone amp, any suggestions for one around 50-75 dollars.

thanks a bunch
tim

[/QUOTE]

anybody wanna help me with these.. it still is only mono. Why??
i buss everything to buss 1, input the mono aux track buss 1, and output it to 3, and it is only in one ear..
if i buss everything to 1/2, input stereo aux track to buss 1/2, and output it to 3 it is still only in one ear... anyone??
Old 08-27-2003, 04:54 PM

yeah, it is mono because it is a mono output. the small line mixer I suggested would fix this problem and probably fit into the 50-75 dollar price range you mentioned.
-butta
DaveC = 32 + 6 aux
Old 08-27-2003, 09:24 PM

sooo.. tell me if i got this right (sorry for my ignorance)
if I send everything to, say, channel 3/4, then out of 3/4, 2 cables going into something like this (the simplist of its kind i'd imagine), then plug headphones into output of that little jigger.. than all is well? both ears, and independant control of the mix to those specific headphones??

if so, sound like a deal.
i understand this.. but
if I want 2 sets of headphones.. each with capability of having a separate mix.. can you guide me through how to do this..
i know for sure I'll have a send to 3/4 on every track, and also a send to 5/6 on every track. from there i can get my different mixes.. then where does it go?? a line mixer would only allow me one headphone out right???
please help if you're still there..

thanks in advance..
tim

Old 08-27-2003, 09:48 PM

the Outs are line level, TRS. each output is mono, no stereo outs. Line level will NOT drive headphones. You MUST have a headphone amp to drive headphones. Connect outputs of the digi hardware to the inputs of the headphone amp, and headphones to the headphone outputs on the headphone amp.

You can create separate mixes by using multiple mono or stereo Aux outs, however latency will be an issue.

One of the few uses for those cheap crappy behringer mixers is to use as headphone amps. Group insturments to the 8 outs and route to the mixer, drums, guitars, bass, keys etc....and use the mixer main and aux outs for headphone sends. You'll still need a headphone amp however. Sampson and Behringer both make 4 channel ones pretty cheap.

also, not everyone needs stero headphone mixes. generally most can suffice with mono, so if you have a console with a couple prefader aux (the beheringer models with two auxes are one pre one post, but it is a simple mod to make them both pre) you can get 3 mixes from this, one stereo(l/r) and two mono(aux's). You can pick up one of these pieces of crap for about $99 at any Guitar Center. toss in another hundred or so for the HP amp, a few bucks for connecting cabling, and you're ready to rock, latency free.

Recording...the endless money pit.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:26 PM

MT,
Yes it WILL work. With all due respect, I'm not sure what Where is thinking. It has a headphone out with level controls which do boost the signal for your headphones....
Can't vouch for the quality of this particular line mixer, I personally use a cheap ***** Midiman MultiMixer 6 for this exact function and it works great....to clarify - it works great for using as a little headphone level/pan mixer and will generate the left/right outputs you desire when connected as you described....small disclaimer: I would never suggest using it for recording or mix down....

-bl
DaveC = 32 + 6 aux