Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Pro Tools Compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura

I am contemplating buying the new Mac Studio and it will be coming with the OS 13 Ventura. I just want to make sure it will be compatible with my Pro Tools 2022.6 OS. I have read that Avid hasn't yet acknowledged it's compatibility but I have read that some beta testing has shown that there are no issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer before I send a couple grand?
Thank you in advance,
Newcens
Old 11-15-2022, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcens View Post
I am contemplating buying the new Mac Studio and it will be coming with the OS 13 Ventura. I just want to make sure it will be compatible with my Pro Tools 2022.6 OS. I have read that Avid hasn't yet acknowledged it's compatibility but I have read that some beta testing has shown that there are no issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer before I send a couple grand?
Thank you in advance,
Newcens

You will be able to downgrade the Mac Studio to Monterey, since that's the OS that was current when it was released.

I don't know about Ventura compatibility, but just wanted to let you know that you should be safe either way.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 11-15-2022, 04:02 PM

Thank you. Any information is good information. So you can downgrade the Mac Studio to a older OS. That I didn't know.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you. Any information is good information. So you can downgrade the Mac Studio to a older OS. That I didn't know.
Just to be clear, you can only downgrade back to the version of the OS that the model of the Mac was released with (not when you bought it, but when it was first made available for sale). You cannot downgrade to an OS older that that.

Having said that, I am running Protools Studio 2022.10 on a Mac Studio (M1Max) running Ventura (macOS 13) in a test system and have not had any OS related issues so far. You should consider upgrading Protools to the latest version as there are bug fixes and better compatibility with Apple Silicon (however, still running on Rosetta 2 instead of native).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 12-01-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you in advance,
Newcens
I just got my New Mac Studio after 10 years with the same Mac Pro Trash Can. What a difference. It was shipped with Monterey and after it arrived Ventura got released. I had a friend who got his and updated and he is running PT with not issues. I'm staying put for software like DADMAN which is stable on Monterey on 12.6.1.
My guess it is solid either way depending on your needs with your setup. Mine are in Dolby ATMOS here, so can't really risk any problems.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-16-2022, 01:37 PM

This first thing I'd do with that new Mac is downgrade to the latest Monterey, then start installing. I know Ventura is working for people in many ways but I've seen a list of audio-related apps/plugins that do NOT work and it's enough to keep douse my urge to update. 12.6.1 has been rock solid so no reason to rock the boat anyway.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
This first thing I'd do with that new Mac is downgrade to the latest Monterey, then start installing. I know Ventura is working for people in many ways but I've seen a list of audio-related apps/plugins that do NOT work and it's enough to keep douse my urge to update. 12.6.1 has been rock solid so no reason to rock the boat anyway.
How do you do that in detail?
Old 12-01-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Bird View Post
How do you do that in detail?
In short; you must find and download a monterey installer (doesn't have to be the very latest, you can upgrade it later), and with that create a so-called 'USB installer' by writing the .dmg to a USB stick, drive, or partition - then you boot from it and install the OS on a drive or partition, erasing the drive in the process. People will correct me if I'm wrong or forgot something - but that's the basics.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
In short; you must find and download a monterey installer (doesn't have to be the very latest, you can upgrade it later), and with that create a so-called 'USB installer' by writing the .dmg to a USB stick, drive, or partition - then you boot from it and install the OS on a drive or partition, erasing the drive in the process. People will correct me if I'm wrong or forgot something - but that's the basics.
Thank you. Will give it a try after my new Mac studio has arrived.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:51 AM

I have a pal who got his Mac Studio Ultra at exactly the same time as I did, but a bit later and it shipped with Ventura. He has had only a few issues that he said is hardly worth worrying about. Seems to be solid for him.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS