Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-02-2022, 02:10 PM

Default Pro Tools Base Window Invisible on Session

When I launch ProTools, it shows all those startup windows you expect, including asking to open a session and then saying it is restoring tracks. But when it is done, what I'll call the "base window" is invisible. I.e., Pro Tools looks like it never launched. I still see the desktop.

You know how you can launch other windows like the memory or a plugin? The ones I last had open DO appear when it launches. But the base window that's typically behind them is just not that as if PT was never launched.

At the top of the OS, it shows ProTools is the active app, but... no base window.

If I go to the ProTools menu, "Show All" is greyed out unless I hit "Hide Others." Then I can hit "Show All," but it just goes back to not showing the base window, but still showing mini windows that were open like a plugin. Tried relaunching, rebooting, no change.

However, if I open a different session, the app opens like normal. Go back to this session? Problem returns.

If I didn't know better, I would assume the base window was open and on a second monitor that is plugged in,, but there isn't one.

I'm new to Macs. This is on Ventura.

What am I missing?
Old 12-02-2022, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Base Window Invisible on Session

I suspect related to this problem: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421532 (you might have found that with a Google search with site:duc.avid.com site qualifier). I filed a support case for that and Avid opened bug ARST 4009. I expect it will be low priority to change/may never happen. My main comment to Avid is this will just confuse new users where they can get themselves in the situation they do not see a mix or edit window. If it’s causing problems for you please open a support case and reference that bug.

There is no “base window” what do you mean? The Edit window? Mix window? You raise visible or hidden windows by Window>Window name in the menu bar, same in Mac or Windows, and there you can see all the proper names or the windows in Pro Tools.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:06 PM

Thank you! You nailed it. The edit and mix windows were both closed and the result is that it looked like ProTools wasn't even running except for the little windows like transport, for example, being onscreen.

Most apps I've used (coming from MS Windows) have what I called a "base" window for lack of an actual term. Maybe "container?" And all other windows for that app open within that. If you minimize the "base" window, all the other windows for that app go with it. Apparently that isn't the case with this version of PT, or on a Mac.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:18 PM

It basically was the case before and this silly change broke it. I cannot fathom why Avid did it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect the reason Pro Tools has a "container" on Windows is that it's still using Altura's Mac2Win ancient software to port the code from Mac to Windows.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-02-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:20 PM

Hazing? It is pretty weird.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarSlinger View Post
I'm new to Macs. This is on Ventura.
If you haven't already, you should familiarize yourself with the macOS feature called Spaces, and Mission Control (F3). F.ex if you click the green 'Maximize' button (red/yellow/green so-called 'traffic lights' top left) on the mix or edit window it might seem to disappear, but it's now in its own 'space'.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:53 AM

Working on BOTH platforms, Windows Pro Tools has that gray “parent” window, but the Mac I use at my freelance (“other”) gig with PT 10.3 does not use the gray “parent” window. So yes, on the MAC, when Pro Tools is open, at least on this older version, you still see the desktop until you open or create a session.