Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-07-2021, 06:03 AM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

It is possible, but not very recommended unless you really know how to self help yourself
Old 02-07-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is possible, but not very recommended unless you really know how to self help yourself
As I understand it you first boot into Windows, do some stuff and then boot into OSX. Not for the faint-hearted or those that aren't hardware geeks. Which is why I said that he should just stay with what he's currently using especially considering it's just to transfer files from one place to another.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't you get it - Thunderbolt is not really possible in a cheesegrater Mac Pro. The Titan Ridge is Windows only and not supported on a Mac.
Not true, like a lot of things you claim on this board.
There are flashed cards around and just like a lot of "Windows only" GPUs that are flashed correctly this card works just fine in my 5,1.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:46 AM

Phew, I made it to the end of this thread! I stumbled on it because I am just now setting up a 2010 cheesegrater flashed to 5,1 for use with HDX and PT 2021. I just now installed a Metal compatible GPU, which seems to work so far. I also installed a 1TB OWC SSD which I was going to use to install Mojave and PT 2021, as my main system disk. I have another 256BG SSD which is currently running PT on High Sierra...

I'd never heard of APFS before today, so it was the unfamiliar options in Disk Utility that led me here. Unless I'm mistaken, the takeaway from this thread thus far is that I should format my SSD system drive with APFS. But then there is the SCHEME option, which I have also never seen before. Googling didn't reveal many answers on this question, but I found one thread possibly recommending "Apple Partition Map". Does that sound right?

Thanks for any tips!

Edit: 10 seconds later I see that Apple Partition Map isn't an option if I am using APFS, so I guess I'll just go with the default GUID Partition Map. Still would love any tips on whether this is the right choice. In fact, seems to be the only choice for APFS, so that simplifies things I guess...

Edit 2: 1 minute later, newly Erased drive with APFS and GUID showing up as an external drive, not internal. Hmmm... It's in the 4th drive bay. Won't let me mount it as an Internal drive...
Old 06-10-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Phew, I made it to the end of this thread! I stumbled on it because I am just now setting up a 2010 cheesegrater flashed to 5,1 for use with HDX and PT 2021. I just now installed a Metal compatible GPU, which seems to work so far. I also installed a 1TB OWC SSD which I was going to use to install Mojave and PT 2021, as my main system disk. I have another 256BG SSD which is currently running PT on High Sierra...

I'd never heard of APFS before today, so it was the unfamiliar options in Disk Utility that led me here. Unless I'm mistaken, the takeaway from this thread thus far is that I should format my SSD system drive with APFS. But then there is the SCHEME option, which I have also never seen before. Googling didn't reveal many answers on this question, but I found one thread possibly recommending "Apple Partition Map". Does that sound right?

Thanks for any tips!

Edit: 10 seconds later I see that Apple Partition Map isn't an option if I am using APFS, so I guess I'll just go with the default GUID Partition Map. Still would love any tips on whether this is the right choice. In fact, seems to be the only choice for APFS, so that simplifies things I guess...

Edit 2: 1 minute later, newly Erased drive with APFS and GUID showing up as an external drive, not internal. Hmmm... It's in the 4th drive bay. Won't let me mount it as an Internal drive...
That's kind of normal for drives in bays. I'm wondering why you don't put your system ssd on a card and in a pcie slot? I did that with the 1TB Samsung ssd with an adapter from OWC. And my samples ssd (another Samsung ssd) is on another pcie card adapter in the remaining slot. System boots much quicker and everything is pretty stable. Take a look at my full system info on my profile page. Being you're doing HDX you'll still have (or should have) an empty slot for the system drive.

BTW both ssd's are formatted apfs with trim enabled on both.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2021, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the response! I actually hopped on the phone with a super friendly, helpful support guy from OWC, we tried a couple of things and discovered that after a reboot the drive showed up in the proper place under Internal. Did the same thing with APFS of Mac OS Journaled...

As you say, he was extolling the virtues of either the Acceslior S, or the Acceslior 1M2 PCIe options. Might do that. Only just learning of such things! I have an HDX card, and UAD Octo, so I will only have one slot left, which may someday be another Octo...?
Old 06-10-2021, 02:44 PM

I had a 3,1 mac pro for many years, and like Jack I put the SSDs on a pcie adapter card which was the biggest boost to the general feel of the mac that it'd ever had. Much better than the sata drive bays.

And about APFS; it's what you should use with ssds, and enable TRIM. It behaves a little differently from HFS+ in Disk Utilities, but the very main new thing that you will notice is that if you create a new partition, you don't give it a definite size! APFS will manage partitions on a drive and give it space as it needs it. Free space is shared between partitions (or volumes as they're known) to put it another way. Very nice.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Thanks for the response! I actually hopped on the phone with a super friendly, helpful support guy from OWC, we tried a couple of things and discovered that after a reboot the drive showed up in the proper place under Internal. Did the same thing with APFS of Mac OS Journaled...

As you say, he was extolling the virtues of either the Acceslior S, or the Acceslior 1M2 PCIe options. Might do that. Only just learning of such things! I have an HDX card, and UAD Octo, so I will only have one slot left, which may someday be another Octo...?
Decisions, decisions - tough always they are as Yoda would say. You have to sit down and figure out what's important to you. Do you really need the dsp horsepower of another UAD card? Or would you like to have the overall speed boost having your system drive in a pcie slot? If you want to go that route you should seriously think about an nvme ssd in a pcie slot for your system drive. Right now I have a more or less bog standard Samsung 850 as my system drive on an OWC accelsior card in the slot next to my video card. Between that and the Samsung 860 2 TB as samples drive in another pcie slot that gives me the speed I can live with.

Is it bleeding edge speed-wise? Nope. Do I need it? Nope. 60+ tracks with a lot of MIDI driven vi's combined with recorded stuff like guitars and my system breathes easy. I'm able to deliver to clients what they want when they want it and isn't that what matters?

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2021, 05:35 PM

Streamlining vs compatibility. Apfs is for newer operating systems. Don’t expect to work or transfer to and from older systems with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Streamlining vs compatibility. Apfs is for newer operating systems. Don’t expect to work or transfer to and from older systems with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Means you need to have High Sierra or newer for mounting APFS so not much of a problem. Real problem with it may be the fact that DiskWarrior still does not repair APFS so in case of a major problem your only option will be erasing it and starting from zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk