Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Midi IO not shown in AMS or is greyed out. When greyed out no MIDI options in Tools

Hi all,

I've been trying to sort this for about 4 hours now and I desperately need some sleep before my session starts in about 6 hours; Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

The MIDI IO has been functioning perfectly until saturday morning but it seems now that the mac/pro tools won't cooperate with the MIDI IO. Here's the deal:

MIDI IO is either greyed out in the Audio Midi Setup utility or the AMS wont load at all stating that "Audio MIDI Setup was unable to launch the MIDI Server. This means that you will be unable to view or edit your MIDI configurations." I'm then prompted to uninstall the MIDI driver, reinstall and open the AMS again. I've done this several times: Sometimes the AMS will open with the MIDI IO greyed out, sometimes the AMS won't open at all and I get the same 'unable to launch' message.

I've tried 'add device' in the AMS but with no success (the MIDI isn't greyed out but I don't have any MIDI options in Pro Tools).

I've been trawling through various things online and so far I have tried the following:

Reinstalling MIDI Drivers
Trashing 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.
Trashing 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.
Trashing Prefs and Databases
Updating firmware on the MIDI IO
Plugging the MIDI IO into a different port with numerous midi cables
Disconnecting any unnecessary MIDI devices
Using a Midisport 2x2 and an Emagic Unitor 8 interface with the same problems (I've also used all three of these interfaces with my MacBook with no Problems, so I'm almost certain its a not a hardware issue)
Restarts have been done at the appropriate times and I've tried the above steps in a number of combinations.

Any help would be amazing. Apart from the current session I'm working on I've got a month long session with an engineer who will definitely want midi running perfectly. Any suggestions would be a massive help and whoever cracks it gets a few drinks on me next time they're in NW London.

I'm running OSX 10.5.8, PT HD3 v8.0.4, MIDI IO is bus powered (no PSU).

Thanks everyone,

Drew
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Midi IO not shown in AMS or is greyed out. When greyed out no MIDI options in Too

Have you tried logging in as a new user to see if it is a system problem or a user problem?

Have you a clone of your system drive you can boot from?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Midi IO not shown in AMS or is greyed out. When greyed out no MIDI options in Too

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your suggestion, and I definitely owe you!

Basically I logged in as another user with a clone of the system drive, opened AMS with no success. Attempted using Tools anyway with the Unitor 8 connected and it was very successful. Disconnected the Unitor 8 and plugged in the MIDI IO, restarted, logged in on the cloned system drive and was amazed to see that this is working too. I logged back into my normal system drive and open Tools to find that I had all MIDI IO options back again. I've tested all the Ins and Outs and all seems fine! You are a life saver.

Not really sure what the cure was but logging into another account instead of restarting was the only difference to what I had been doing before. Lets wait and see if the system is stable but all seems ok..

Richard, thank you!

drew
Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 PM

p.s. If I do any sessions at AIR or if you drop by Willesden anytime I owe you a few beers. Cheers mate...