Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2022, 05:22 AM

Default Cascading UA Apollo Thunderbolt for 5.1 outs

I'm wondering if anyone has experience cascading multiple UA Apollo thunderbolt interfaces. I have a UA Twin MKII and would like to add outputs for mixing in 5.1. Buying a used Apollo 8 MKII might be an affordable way to do this.

I want to use my Twin MKII for dedicated L/R outs, and add C, Ls, Rs and LFE on the Apollo 8. Will I be able to achieve this using a PT Aggregate Output?
Old 09-17-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Cascading UA Apollo Thunderbolt for 5.1 outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysoundman View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has experience cascading multiple UA Apollo thunderbolt interfaces. I have a UA Twin MKII and would like to add outputs for mixing in 5.1. Buying a used Apollo 8 MKII might be an affordable way to do this.

I want to use my Twin MKII for dedicated L/R outs, and add C, Ls, Rs and LFE on the Apollo 8. Will I be able to achieve this using a PT Aggregate Output?
You can cascade multiple UAD units via thunderbolt but you will only have monitor control output via one of the units. The other unit will only operate as individual line outputs not controlled by the hardware monitor knob. If you have another type of monitor controller, this will work.

BTW, the Apollo 8 already has enough analog output to handle 5.1 without the need to cascade. However, those additional outputs again are not controlled via the hardware monitor knob.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. Great point that the monitor controller won’t work on the additional interface. So cascading is not a good solution for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2022, 03:27 PM

There is a workaround if you use an Avid Dock. You can setup a Master Fader in Pro Tools to be Eucon controlled and the monitor knob on the Dock will control this Master Fader as a kind of Monitor Control. This way you can still utilize all available outputs of the UAD hardware and not need to worry about monitor functionality the hardware.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
There is a workaround if you use an Avid Dock. You can setup a Master Fader in Pro Tools to be Eucon controlled and the monitor knob on the Dock will control this Master Fader as a kind of Monitor Control. This way you can still utilize all available outputs of the UAD hardware and not need to worry about monitor functionality the hardware.
Thanks, yes it's a workaround, but using a master fader for monitoring volume wouldn't be my preferred workflow. On the other hand, is software monitor control for 5.1 (and higher) multichannel sessions something that can be achieved? Not just volume, but channel mute/solo, speaker dim, etc.?

I'm gonna give a read to the recent Production Expert article