Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2022, 08:47 AM

Default ProTools Screen not matching Getting Started vids

The first thing I ran into while watching the first Getting Started video (drums) was that there is no Getting Started button on the left dashboard like in the video. I only have Create, Recent, and Projects, but no Getting Started button. So immediaetly I'm lost. I'm running 2021.12.0.

My goal is to record live instruments and vocel to put together songs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:46 AM

Default Re: ProTools Screen not matching Getting Started vids

If you have no projects, you have no projects. If you have no projects, you have no recents. If you have no recent projects, you probably have to create a new project.....

These tutorial videos might not get updated every single version. If you read the actual Reference Guide, it's usually actually up to date.

Just for the record, I learned how to use Pro Tools at an audio school with 4 hr days 5 days a week for 1 whole year. I spent HUNDREDS of HOURS outside of class time hanging out in the school studio (they recorded Trooper in the 1990s, etc), and I also did a stretch as an intern spending 4 hours additionally twice a week being a general assistant in my later two terms.

That said, you just have to set up your inputs and press record. Do you know what a bit depth and a sample rate are???
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-21-2022, 12:06 PM

Default Re: ProTools Screen not matching Getting Started vids

If you’re watching this video
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/getting-started

This video was designed with the user using the latest version of Pro Tools, not 2021.12.

Get current and you’ll see that option on the Dashboard.

Alternatively there are a lot of “getting started” in Pro Tools on You Tube.
With 2021.12 you will not have the plugins mentions in that video.