Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-02-2015, 10:07 PM

Default Pro Tools on Laptop without Audio Interface

Hi Everyone, can anyone help me with mobility? Can I use pro tools with out an audio interface on a laptop? PT12 or PT11? Thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools on Laptop without Audio Interface

You need a laptop with a good internal built-in audio.

The go-to laptops for Pro Tools are MacBook Pros. For good reason. Including the Built-In Audio device in those works very well as the playback engine for Pro Tools.

With Windows it is much more of a crap-shoot. While most Windows audio devices can work with ASIO4ALL (which wraps the standard Windows WDM drivers to make them look like ASIO which Pro Tools, and many other DAWs wants). You are better off trying to find a laptop with great native ASIO drivers for it's internal audio device. You also need to meet all the other systems requirements for Pro Tools. Ideally an i7 processor, a second dedicated audio/session drive if your boot/system drive is a hard drive (not really needed if the internal drive is an fast PCIe SSD like on the MBP).

Personally I'd go with a MacBook Pro well before any other options. Windows PC choices are much better on the desktop, especially if you are going to build uour own desktop PC.