Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

I switched from PT to Reaper in 2016. Best move I ever made. Is it comparable to Pro Tools? For my uses, it is not comparable, it is better, far better. Faster, more efficient, more flexible, more of the features I need. I bought a license in 2016, and have never had to pay for an update because my license is current. There have been dozens of updates, some that are extremely substantial, but I am still getting free upgrades on my original license. I am running twice as many plugins, and updating to a new version of my DAW takes 10-12 seconds from the time I click download until the new version is running. Not an exaggeration. Far fewer bugs because pre-releases are public. It's a great community, with developers that interact with users almost daily.

For people who need the industry standard, it's not that. But if you are an individual who won't need to interact with other PT users, it's got a lot to offer. I do exchange files with PT users, but only through WAV files, not as projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJo View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried Reaper? Is it even comparable to Pro Tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I would expect a release in Q1 but without full Big Sur compatibility. Perhaps support for Intel hardware, but not Apple Silicon. Would also expect the problems with Catalina compatibility be mostly tackled, and if so, the second release of 2021 may very well support Apple Silicon hardware.

Sadly, my expectations regarding new features are pretty low because this Apple Silicon transition is so huge and ties lot of resources. Would like to be surprised though, will see about that later. Point being my best guess is Avid is putting most resources to get Apple Silicon supported before end of Q2.

Avid's problem here is Apple Silicon hardware is moving target. Yes there are first models for sale, but those are not yet pro hardware. Nobody knows when Apple releases next Apple Silicon hardware, or if those are worthy of professional use. That's why I am thinking target for Apple Siiicon support is second release of 2021 in Q2.

Just an educated guess though. I have absolultely no inside information about this.
Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. This adjustment with Apple probably uses a lot of resources, as you say. This is a bit unfortunate for development, but essential to ensure that it works. This crazy OS rush forward is ultimately a bad thing for DAWs and pro studios. Let's dream of an OS for DAWs...
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
"So, no renewal. We stay at 2020."

Agreed.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411357

Avid better show some ❤️ to customers like us or else wave goodbye to a whole load more $$$.

Stephen
Every time I read a post like this, I remember what I posted several months ago:

Quote:
The sad thing is that for all I read about "voting with my wallet", this strategy of squeezing customers for very little reward is working for Avid - https://ir.avid.com/static-files/8aa...c-d28a949a2739

Quote:
Operating Income Increased 214% Year-Over-Year from Improved Gross Margin and Significantly Reduced Operating Expenses
There it is in black and white - they do less, but get more cash. Don't see anything changing, sadly.
I wish I could see it changing, but alas. They're now more or less forcing customers to go subscription-only, they're putting less and less resources into improvements and it's working for them financially. Everything else is just noise.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I would expect a release in Q1 but without full Big Sur compatibility. Perhaps support for Intel hardware, but not Apple Silicon. Would also expect the problems with Catalina compatibility be mostly tackled, and if so, the second release of 2021 may very well support Apple Silicon hardware.

Sadly, my expectations regarding new features are pretty low because this Apple Silicon transition is so huge and ties lot of resources. Would like to be surprised though, will see about that later. Point being my best guess is Avid is putting most resources to get Apple Silicon supported before end of Q2.

Avid's problem here is Apple Silicon hardware is moving target. Yes there are first models for sale, but those are not yet pro hardware. Nobody knows when Apple releases next Apple Silicon hardware, or if those are worthy of professional use. That's why I am thinking target for Apple Siiicon support is second release of 2021 in Q2.

Just an educated guess though. I have absolultely no inside information about this.
I presume when you say "Apple silicon support", that you mean Rosetta compatibility and not "native" M1 code.
My update/support plan expires soon, and I've yet to be convinced that I would be missing out on anything the next year or two if I let it go.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I presume when you say "Apple silicon support", that you mean Rosetta compatibility and not "native" M1 code.
My update/support plan expires soon, and I've yet to be convinced that I would be missing out on anything the next year or two if I let it go.
I mean, my best guess is when Big Sur is first supported, it is supported on Intel hardware running natively on Intel code. Expecting full support on second release the earliest.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:14 PM

It's even more painful to let go of a cactus than hugging it in the first place because the barbs of the nails will peal off your skin.

Stikkiness was a word used to describe a business practice to create high exit thresholds. Perhaps perfected by microsoft with their never-ending bug-fix releases containing new bugs, creating sticky-drama. And on top of that product educations with certificates for professionals creating professional career paths.

And you don't need to provide the best burger to become the biggest burger restaurant chain.

Perhaps this is what is at play with Avid. Unempathetic and drama-creation to make people 'stick'.

Certainly customer care has been drama-creating to me. Without DUC, what would Avid customers do, what would avid do?

I believe newcomers to the DAW market will hear the drum beats and un-choose PT. Then the future for PT will be much of short subscriptions when all us old farts need to re-visit some projects of the past.

Let's see. I like PT. I don't like Avid.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:26 AM

I've switched over to Studio One. I really like it but Pro Tools definitely is better at somethings. The routing of audio in Pro Tools is the best workflow for me but Studio One has some work arounds. Tedious but it works. One of the things I do miss is Eucon integration. But yeah, I've been meaning to make the jump to something else as soon as they started doing this 200/yr for the perpetual license. I might renew next year for one more year but the way it's going I'm really getting used to Studio One... to the point where I don't even like opening unfinished sessions in Pro Tools.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:42 PM

The price of my Ultimate renewal is $399 per year. That is a fraction of what I earn using it. While it is less than ideal it's how I earn my living. I have been using Logic for some music creation and learning Harrison MixBus (which sounds great btw) and have tried Reaper. If I took the time I could make Reaper act like PT but that would take way too long to be productive. Why do that when I am already quick in PT? Logic and Cubase are great for music only creation, but I do SFX work more than anything so I need to work with picture a lot of the time. No other DAW works with picture like Pro Tools. They just don't. Haven't tried Studio One but have little desire to do so. When I was coming up Pro Tools was the thing to know if you wanted to be professional. It's not perfect but it is head and shoulders way more professional than the other DAWs I have used along the way having started with Cubase VST 3.5, used Logic when it was still on PC, DP, etc. PT is how I earn my bread and butter...
Old 12-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Exactly. Even a pint of beer is too expensive if you don't need it. You justify your needs, not wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
The price of my Ultimate renewal is $399 per year. That is a fraction of what I earn using it. While it is less than ideal it's how I earn my living. I have been using Logic for some music creation and learning Harrison MixBus (which sounds great btw) and have tried Reaper. If I took the time I could make Reaper act like PT but that would take way too long to be productive. Why do that when I am already quick in PT? Logic and Cubase are great for music only creation, but I do SFX work more than anything so I need to work with picture a lot of the time. No other DAW works with picture like Pro Tools. They just don't. Haven't tried Studio One but have little desire to do so. When I was coming up Pro Tools was the thing to know if you wanted to be professional. It's not perfect but it is head and shoulders way more professional than the other DAWs I have used along the way having started with Cubase VST 3.5, used Logic when it was still on PC, DP, etc. PT is how I earn my bread and butter...
You are the ideal client for Avid (I say this without irony), the one who fits the exact profile of their market analyzes. It is normal that you accept its law, because it is made for you. Having said that, while I can easily pay $ 200 a year, I do watch what I get in return. Very little. I'm not saying that PT offers very little at the base. I say that annually it is not worth this price, and that we do not know, in addition, what we are buying (which is unique, I have no other examples). And I look to Steinberg, who by the way doesn't have a punitive policy, like: you lose your rights as a former client and go back to zero if you miss your turn for a year. With each new version of Cubase, I buy it from the first hour, because I know what I am buying, I have the description of the new functions and the bug fixes BEFORE I buy. But I could also wait a year without penalty. More so, Steinberg does favors, sometimes 50%. It is incomparable. And I don't believe Steinberg are stupid traders who miss the boat.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com