How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-03-2021, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Open Recent list is empty after restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSchwabe View Post
The reason I wrote this post is because every time that I reopen the sessions on the audio drive they show up in the recent list, however, when I reboot that list is empty. I have said that like 5 times.
Sorry, somehow I missed that. I've never seen that before. Is PT installed on the system drive? Since you are on a new Mac, how are the drives(all of them) formatted(could this be something to do with Apple's new format)?

This:
"Computer model and processor speed: Mac Pro 3.2 18core
OS version: 10.15..2
Avid hardware model: Pro Tools Native card with 192 I interlace
Pro Tools version. 2020 (most recent)
Amount of Memory installed 48gb
Only pro tools HD system attached and normal video and mouse connections"
is far from complete system details and is ambiguous at best(we already know the 18 core is incorrect and you probably don't have an HD system, so is it HDN or HDX? Its not possible to give too much info

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2021, 02:57 PM

I have had the computer for a year and the drives have never changed. They are formatted as normal apple drives (Mac OS Extended). The problem is with a databasing file of some sort that has been corrupted.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
...I use a separates drive for audio because sessions are often 100 tracks or more. This is normal operation as far as I have ever seen. Yes, files default to the documents drive, but that is not where I store them. ...
Appears you may not have shown Pro Tools where your Sessions (audio) is located

As you've said, by default, Sessions (audio) are saved in your Documents\Pro Tools folder

If you haven’t already, change the default location of your Sessions (audio) drive and Sessions’ specific Folder in the Dashboard when Pro Tools opens.

At the bottom of the Dashboard, under “Prompt for location”, hit the “Location” button and select your desired location.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
... Strangely, both of those sessions are on my OS drive and not my live audio drive (one is on the desktop and one is in my downloads folder). ...
If you move these 2 Sessions to your audio drive, before “Prompting for location” in Dashboard, you should then be able to see all your Sessions
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-03-2021, 08:08 PM

Thank, you, that was tried on the first page of this thread and the location of my files is not the problem. Pro Tools does not remember the files after restart. I have reset the location to documents, moved it to my audio drive and still the same result in bth locations. The problem is with a databasing file somewhere. I was hoping someone from Avid would chime in, but alas.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-03-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
...I have reset the location to documents, moved it to my audio drive and still the same result in bth locations...
I meant “reset the location to your audio drive” – not to “documents” (then restart computer) – is that what you did?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:29 PM

Yes, I have tried both. The recent files list is not determined by the default location for new sessions.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:18 PM

I must agree this does need fixing – thanks for pointing it out!

My workaround (for now) is selecting “Open from Disk” at the bottom of the Dashboard, and thereafter selecting File>Open Session, repeating to open different Sessions – for all those you want visible in “Dashboard Recent”

Takes a few minutes, but at least after that, they will all be visible
Old 02-03-2021, 11:36 PM

I do not know how many times I need to say this -- I know how the recent file list works. I am having a bug where after I restart the recent files list is emptied. Every time I start my computer it empties out. While I am working throughout the day the list populates as expected, it works normally and I can reopen sessions from the list that I worked on earlier in the day, however, when I restart the computer that list is empty again. Its a bug that I am experiences because a database file is corrupted.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
... I am having a bug where after I restart the recent files list is emptied. Every time I start my computer it empties out. ... when I restart the computer that list is empty again. Its a bug that I am experiences because a database file is corrupted.
The Pro Tools 2020.12 Reference Guide – page 164:

“The Open Recent Session option is not available the first time you launch Pro Tools”

This seems ambiguous – it may mean “first time you ever launch Pro Tools” – or “first time you launch Pro Tools on any given day” – or even, “after a restart” (which is what you mentioned)

If it is indeed the latter, it needs changing.

If a database file is corrupted - I'm "out of my depth"!