Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM

Default trim plug ?

What does the trim plug do? how is it used? What would be the set up chain? Example fader settings?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Re: trim plug ?

You can reduce or add volume with the trim plug in. And you can invert the phase.

In the chain, it could be placed in front of a plug in, that doesn't have an input control. Or generally on a track that is too quiet.

Before Pro Tools added the trim automation, this was a great plug in to keep volume automation but have control of the overall track volume.

Hope it helps,
Timothy
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
What does the trim plug do? how is it used? What would be the set up chain? Example fader settings?
It is also a good one(low dsp drain) to insert before an RTAS plug, if you are record enabled and/or input monitoring.. and you want to hear the RTAS (remain active). SB
Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 AM

It can be used for other things to...for example, I use a lot outboard compressors; to deal with the now quick, "no time for recalls" mixing world we live in, I set all of my outboard's inputs and outputs to unity gain; I then place a Trim plug before and after the analog insert, so now I only need to make note of ratio, attack, and release.

Also, if you're a user of the Waves SSL series or V series, you can do things like overdrive the G Channel, or V Compressor, and then follow it by a Trim to back the gain down before you enter back into the track. I did not realize that Waves actually modeled how the SSL and Neve limits when overdriven (a favorite technique by some mixers) until watching a video that a Waves rep did. So you can drive these plugs until the red clip lights on the plugin, and then some, without there being a digital clip...you will however be at 0dBFS which will turn your channel clip light on so following the plug by a Trim will take care of this.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
It can be used for other things to...for example, I use a lot outboard compressors; to deal with the now quick, "no time for recalls" mixing world we live in, I set all of my outboard's inputs and outputs to unity gain; I then place a Trim plug before and after the analog insert, so now I only need to make note of ratio, attack, and release.

Also, if you're a user of the Waves SSL series or V series, you can do things like overdrive the G Channel, or V Compressor, and then follow it by a Trim to back the gain down before you enter back into the track. I did not realize that Waves actually modeled how the SSL and Neve limits when overdriven (a favorite technique by some mixers) until watching a video that a Waves rep did. So you can drive these plugs until the red clip lights on the plugin, and then some, without there being a digital clip...you will however be at 0dBFS which will turn your channel clip light on so following the plug by a Trim will take care of this.
Can't you just back down the output of the SSL channel strip without having to add the trim plugin?? Where can I see the video you are talking about?