Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Default PRO TOOLS 7 - MIDI SYNC ISSUES

Ive looked around in the forum and haven't found a solution for my problem. So Im posting here. I would appreciate if only people willing to help would post. Not people who will tell me to use the search after Ive spent 30mins using the search.

Basically I have my mpc set as master.

Below are my settings

MPC

Sync Out
Mode: MIDI TIME CODE
Frame rate: 30

Send MMC: ON

PRO TOOLS M-POWERED

Synchronization
Device: Generic MTC Reader
Port: Firewire Audiophile
Minimum Sync Delay: 30 Frames

Enable Control of Pro Tools LE Via MMC [BOX IS CHECKED] ID:127

Problem:
When I press play on my MPC it will start about 1/8th of a bar early or I can say When I press play on my MPC protools will start about 1/8th of a bar late.

Both protools and my mpc have the same BPM Set, same amount of bars loop, 4/4 etc. I basically want to be able to press play on the MPC and have protools start at the exact same time as the mpc. Ive tried using midiclock as well.

The only way I get them to play accuratley at the same time is if I enable midi clock on both sync in and out on the mpc and set both receive and send mmc on in the MPC but even then there is a problem. The mpc will stop playing 4 bars after the 1st 4 bars then carry on again. The only way I solve this loop play stop problem is if I make the mpc the master. If I make both the mpc and protools master or just protools master and mpc slave I get this same problem.

Any for now to make my MPC play on time with protools I have to use the trimmer tool and trim/hide 1/8th of the 1st bar then drag the all the 4 bars in the loop over until the start of the 1st bar is fully to the left of the protools editing area. So its basically at 1/1/000. When I press play on the mpc it plays on time but i end up missing the 1st 2 notes of my 1st bar which is a problem because I want to loop 4 bars and continuously add more stuff to my tune.

Alternative is to to repeat 99 copies of the 4 bars so I can just edit on the MPC and use the melody on protools as backup if you get what I mean, then when Ive finished on the MPC bring the beat over to protools and finish editied.

I was just wondering is there a way to avoid doing this? and make protools and the MPC start at the exact same time when I hit play on the mpc? As far as Im concerned my sound card is decent the mac dual G5 2GHZ is a decent enough speed, I have enough memory in the system.. so what could be causing this delay?

PS: When I enable "midi clock sync" in reason 3.3 and press play on my mpc they sync perfectly.. So whats the deal with pro tools?