Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Default \'SOUNDTRAK\' Movie sounds app-virtual modual-RTAS ???

Picture that signature Danny Efman...Batman....Superman.....blockbuster soundtrak, the backround so different from regular 4/4 music. Im amayzed actually at howpowerful of an affect it can haveon me and have always been facinated w/ understanding what goes into it.........could i adapt to it like i did basic multi-trak recording. Remember w/ an anthem like the stones 'satasfaction' to model rock-n-roll after, add punk-techno......anyone w/ a PC can make a song that sounds like a song.

For as complex and magical as they sound in the theater and originating from live symphonic super talent, full orchastras going back to Motzart. like everything else......techknowledgy has made it possible for the dreamers like myself to emulate such sound......but im curious to hear from someone who has experience with what goes into all this.

I know i have strings-brass-wind-etc. in my home stuff, but 'movie music' that i assume is NOT a full orchastra or is used in TV where its not practical for obviuos reasons, im assuming that these sounds are basically sampled or blended somehow to achieve that rich layered sound.......see thats the challenge.

For me i think of drums bass cruchy guitar and vocals......trak by trak.......but sountraks are all mood and suspense, not a driving beat....unless that what it needs car chase or something.

anyway....i do know EastWest has something that sounded awesome on their demo clip, but it doesn't reveal if you can get that sound easily or if you need to be a conducter. In a movie like 'Batman' which i can hear that distinct sound in my head as i type.......is that 'synthisized' or is it a matter of sampling a specific array of insturments that make that sound we associate but i couldn't guess in a million years......

that brings up a good question.......so lets say there is some magic in-a-box type of software........any suggestions on modern symphonies/orchestras that have that same dramatic sound but not so formulaic like studying just sountrax but the real thing for some idea on how to understand just to grasp the huge differences from that to rock-pop music.

So any ideas on anything, whats available, what have you tried-used. Im sure the more you pay the more you get, from $200 to thousands so obviously i should try something basic, but are there some that have the Elfman sound.......that would be so cool.......are there sampling CDs that cost less, whatever you think of.......thanks for listening.

Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Re: \'SOUNDTRAK\' Movie sounds app-virtual modual-RTAS ???

Some shows are full Orchestra, The Simpsons is 70+ pieces, Star Trek's were good sized
some shows are under 20 pieces, King of the Hill is one I know is

not that this really helps to your question but just some food for thought

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig