Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Audio Output has me lost

I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm absolutely losing my mind with this. I cannot get ProTools to output any sound with my audio interface plugged in. I can hear everything else that my computer is doing through the audio interface, and ProTools can hear and record my guitar. But I cannot hear anything from ProTools. If I unplug the audio interface, everything works as expected. Please help, I've already lost 9 hours of my life to searching out forums and YouTube videos to fix this myself.

HP Victus, Windows 11, Behringer UM2, ASIO4ALL v2 15 & BEHRINGER USB AUDIO Drivers, 2022.10.0
Old 12-06-2022, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Audio Output has me lost

Plugged in?

Is there a Setup menu on Windows (top of window/screen)? Look for Setup > Playback Engine.

Set the Playback Engine to that audio device. Sounds like PT is working when using the system device as Playback Engine.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-07-2022, 12:54 AM

I guess I should have been more detailed... That has been setup. My Playback engine is setup as Behringer usb audio, anytime I try to set it up as ASIO4ALL ProTools crashes, but techincally the Behringer usb the audio driver is for my behringer audio interface. If I have everything plugged in and the Playback engine setup that way everything on my computer goes through my audio interface, except for ProTools... iTunes, my internet browser, the whole shebang. It's almost as if there's a separate output setting that I'm completely missing in Windows or in ProTools that is muted. Once I unplug the usb and disconnect my audio interface all the sound (including from ProTools) reverts back to my speakers, but I'm unable to listen to anything from ProTools with the audio interface plugged in. Even a click track. I've also setup the output source in the I/O setting every possible way, with no luck. Input seems to be working correctly because the guitar is being recorded, I just can't hear it unless I unplug my audio interface. Sorry if I'm being redundant, trying to give every detail I can think of. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:05 AM

He’s what I’m seeing. Don’t know if it’ll help.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:06 AM

Old 12-07-2022, 01:15 AM

The only thing else to mention that I can think of is I tried ASIO4ALL 14 since it has an offline mode where I can manually control the audio driver settings of my computer, but that fixed nothing with my ProTools issue and it was buggy so I went back to the newest version..15.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:24 AM

Pro Tools on Windows is essentially a dead end in terms of multi client audio interfaces.

Plug your interface in, set ALL other apps and Windows sounds to use the in built audio and then launch Pro Tools and select the Behringer interface as the playback engine.

IOW - only give PT access to the Behringer interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2022, 03:14 AM

So are you suggesting to have everything output through my computer's speakers essentially? What I'm trying to do is have everything output through the interface and the only thing not cooperating is Protools. If I'm forced to use the audio interface strictly as my input device, would I be able to output all the audio to a set of bluetooth headphones rather than my laptop's speakers? Makes me thing the issue is Protools not liking the audio interface... so if I'm outputting through a different device than I'm inputting with, my problem would be solved.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:31 AM

As I mentioned above, Pro Tools on Windows does NOT like sharing your audio interface (multi client).

Try what I said and see if Pro Tools behaves. More than likely, it will as you’re giving it total control of the audio interface.

Both in/out has to go through the Behringer. System audio needs to come out of the built in sound card. If you had an interface with more than two input channels, you could route the system audio via the headphone/line out into a second set of channels and monitor through Pro Tools. Unfortunately, you don’t, so that’s not an option.

Re: outputting system audio to BT headphones - yes, that’s probably easily achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2022, 03:36 AM

Finally got it! Had to set it up as playback engine: windows audio device, and set the input and output devices as my behringer. Works exactly like I want it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47502303-90B6-46E4-82E6-5C6DA509A0B9.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)