Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Default surround work for next week

hi all
just next week I will have to do live recording.But the musicians want to have un dvd live and surround from me.(I know I can not do surround with LE but I got logic pro for that)
just can you help me for that?
I got 002 r
and projectmix I/O
a macbook pro
the group has 8 inst
like ; guitar,percussion(two guys)sax,tuba,basse,accordeon,
anyway
how can I do it?
I need to your experience
peace

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: surround work for next week

please guys

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 01-18-2007, 04:54 AM

just I need some information

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 AM

With only eight inputs you are not going to have as much control over the final mix as I would like if I were doing it. I'm assuming you have the ability to record using either 8 micrphones or a combination of microphones and direct outs. With the eight inputs you have, just take an output(or mic) from each of the instruments to eight separate tracks. Unless there is something extraordinary about the room acoustics, I would forget about trying to capture a live concert feel by mic'ing different points in the room. If you happen to add inputs with something like a Behringer ADA8000 or a Focusrite Octopre, consider mic'ing the percussion in stereo and then if appropriate consider other points in the room. As long as you can import the audio files into your mix software this part of it is pretty easy.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 AM

I would rely on the house board as much as possible for getting inputs from the musicians. Try and get them to feed you some direct channel outputs (and get yourself a way to record another 8 inputs, 8 tracks won't cut it) that way you don't have to throw any mics of your own on stage or rent any 50ft mic cables or anything. If you have enough inputs after your board feeds, set up a stereo pair of room mics to capture both crowd noise and some ambience of the actual room during the concert which you can then use to liven up your mix, or pan them back into the surrounds for effect. If you've got enough inputs and mics for 2 pairs of room mics, do it.

The only thing to watch out for with the direct feeds is the bass level (if he/she plays electric). A lot of times the bass amp is so loud on stage that the direct barely ends up going through the mains, if at all. I can't tell you how many board mixes I have that are completely void of bass because the dude was too loud on stage.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
how can I do it?
I need to your experience
You might get more replies if your question wasn't so broad. If you really really want some specific advice, maybe try posting a new thread in the Post & Surround forum and ask some specific questions. Otherwise, we're just guessing and giving you very general information you may already know. Before you do that, try and do a few searches in the Post & Surround forum. There is a lot of good info about this topic.

Good luck. I hope that when your clients asked you if you can deliver them a surround DVD, your reply was, "Si tout va bien!"