Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-10-2021, 02:53 PM

Default Re: M1 Mac Mini/PT 2021 having Memory issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolaitha View Post
"Is it best to run the session off the ext SSD, or the M1's desktop? I've been running it off the desktop, but attempting from the SSD next."

I believe that you should *always* save to and run your sessions from an external drive. I clearly recall Avid's instructions specifying that as being the best way to work in PT.
I'm sorry, but this is no longer true. It's advice that dates from the days of spinning HDs that may have had a 70/70mb/s r/w speed. Compare that to a M1 internal flash drive's 2500/2500mb/s or more, and you see why.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolaitha View Post
"Is it best to run the session off the ext SSD, or the M1's desktop? I've been running it off the desktop, but attempting from the SSD next."

I believe that you should *always* save to and run your sessions from an external drive. I clearly recall Avid's instructions specifying that as being the best way to work in PT.
Assuming the M1 has an internal SSD, that is likely to be the fastest and best place to put your sessions. Using a separate hard drive for recording made a ton of sense back when hard drives were all spinners, which all have poor performance when compared to most modern SSD's. If you add in large sample libraries, things might get less conclusive and in that case, I would add a thunderbolt drive and put EITHER sessions OR sample libraries on the external(but not both). Others may have other opinions on this(and I welcome them)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2021, 01:19 PM

Yes both drives (M1 and external) are SSD.

I've noticed best results (for me - as I obviously can't speak for anyone else on here, nor would I dare........LOL) are keeping all sample libraries on the external (4TB) SSD and working sessions on the desktop. Once Pro Tools is ARM-capable (I've heard estimates of Q3/Q4 2021), it should run like a dream, in the same way Logic does.

Then we'll obviously need Native Instruments to get Kontakt up to speed
Old 06-13-2021, 08:53 PM

In regards to 16GB Unified Memory on the Apple M1 Computers.

I don't know much, and I am new to all of this. From what I remember reading, I do have to go to bed now, but, here is my take on this: (please do not criticize me, I am just posting random ideas, asking questions and learning from everyone:)

I heard somewhere that M1s have a built in compressor engine on their chips. Indicating that Unified Memory is now on-chip for the M1, does this mean once Pro Tools becomes M1 supportive, all samples, plug-ins, audio tracks, whatever normally stored in RAM, will be compressed and decompressed so fast that 16GB is enough to handle large files at once compared to 64GB old memory configurations?

Also, even though Unified Memory is on-chip, is buffering is still existent in all computer and electrical engineering principles? Meaning, since the architecture is different on M1 platforms, could it mean that buffering(when RAM runs out, it uses HardDisk addressing for RAM) is as fast as, or faster, than previous Intel computers(the new circuitry for M1 Computers is so much more complex, the addressing of HardDisk space for buffering, will be as quick, or faster than previous Intel Computers RAM buffering were?) This could lead to massive improvements in DAWs.

Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2021, 03:53 PM

From what I understand, short answer: yes.

Though I do believe every plugin / company you use will also have to get up to date. For instance, my main workflow plugin as a composer is Kontakt (and EastWest Play). Native Instruments will have to get Kontakt up to speed as well - someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Lol, that goes without saying on here

I spoke with an Avid-approved support / repair tech last week, and while we're obviously not there yet, they're hoping at some point this year to be M1-ready. It's a money thing at this point, he explained. They're losing out every day that they're not M1-compliant.

Also POST EDIT: I have found a major culprit in the M1 CPU spike issue. I recently bought the incredible Logitech MX Master3 mouse. The Logi Options program that runs in the background will sometimes spike out of control in Activity Monitor. Killing that lets me run PT sessions pretty smoothly (albeit not as powerfully as it will when Avid updates Pro Tools to M1 capability)