Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 02-09-2021, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Carbon and Windows 10?

Is there any noticable difference in sound quality between Carbon and MTRX Studio?

I’m beginning to wonder if maby MTRX Studio might be a better solution for me. Especially since it seems to work with Windows 10 already as supposed to Carbon wich might be several months or years away from windows support?

As I have and actively work with several headphones Carbon with its 4 HP out and 8 preamps has a clear advantage for me. Also tracking with plugins with near zero latency is a bonus. Can i do this with MTRX Studio aswell?

However if I can connect my 6 channel Presonous HP60 I would manage with MTRX Studo wich unfortunately only has 2 hp out. 4 would really be perfect for MTRX Studio

Also wonder how the sound quality and functionality of the pres compare between MTRX Studio vs Carbon.

Will MTRX Studio work with my Native PCI card?

What is the round trip latency for MTRX Studio compard to Omni and Carbon?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:22 AM

Any news on Windows 10 support?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:58 AM
Avid

MTRX Studio and Carbon are both excellent sounding converters. MTRX Studio components were designed by NTP, as Carbon was designed by Avid. As all subjective things like converters, I would encourage you to listen to both and make your own judgements.

Yes, MTRX Studio will work with HDX, HDNTB or HDN PCIe via DigiLink.

One great solution for MTRX Studio is to add something like a KLANG or a HEARPro which contains a BrooklynII Dante Chipset to expand the headphone monitor count for your studio. The latency, especially on the KLANG, is incredibly low.

best,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Is there any noticable difference in sound quality between Carbon and MTRX Studio?

I’m beginning to wonder if maby MTRX Studio might be a better solution for me. Especially since it seems to work with Windows 10 already as supposed to Carbon wich might be several months or years away from windows support?

As I have and actively work with several headphones Carbon with its 4 HP out and 8 preamps has a clear advantage for me. Also tracking with plugins with near zero latency is a bonus. Can i do this with MTRX Studio aswell?

However if I can connect my 6 channel Presonous HP60 I would manage with MTRX Studo wich unfortunately only has 2 hp out. 4 would really be perfect for MTRX Studio

Also wonder how the sound quality and functionality of the pres compare between MTRX Studio vs Carbon.

Will MTRX Studio work with my Native PCI card?

What is the round trip latency for MTRX Studio compard to Omni and Carbon?
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-04-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
One great solution for MTRX Studio is to add something like a KLANG or a HEARPro which contains a BrooklynII Dante Chipset to expand the headphone monitor count for your studio. The latency, especially on the KLANG, is incredibly low.
I tried to google Klang and Hearpro but couldn’t find anything.
Do you have any links?

Are this headphone amps that connects to MTRX Studio?
Old 03-04-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I tried to google Klang and Hearpro but couldn’t find anything.
Do you have any links?

Are this headphone amps that connects to MTRX Studio?
They are, via Dante. Links:

https://www.klang.com/en/products/klang_quelle
https://www.heartechnologies.com/PRO.html
Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
The actual NIC needs to be AVB enabled also. Even if Windows supported AVB the NIC would have to be AVB enabled as well. And it's a much more difficult process to do on the hardware side, which is why most NICs used in Windows machine don't support AVB. Apple can do it because they build all their own stuff and charge three times as much for it.

Also the AVB specifications, which is actually now officially called TSN (time sensitive networking), still, after more than 11 years, is not officially finalized.

I think it’s not that difficult. I’ll explain why. I have an Avid S3 and it is also AVB inteface. While trying to lower the costs of a home studio I bulit a hackintosh. It is an Asus z370 Prime A motherboard, intel processor and gygabyte thunderbolt card. Thunderbolt is important for AVB on the Mac os side because only macs with thunderbolt support AVB. And guess what? AVB on S3 works like a charm. Just like that. So, no special hardware. Just plain old pc hardware with mac os on it.

So, it’s not much of a hardware issue but a software one. And I guess it’s a proprietary deal between Apple and AVB creators...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
I think it’s not that difficult. I’ll explain why. I have an Avid S3 and it is also AVB inteface. While trying to lower the costs of a home studio I bulit a hackintosh. It is an Asus z370 Prime A motherboard, intel processor and gygabyte thunderbolt card. Thunderbolt is important for AVB on the Mac os side because only macs with thunderbolt support AVB. And guess what? AVB on S3 works like a charm. Just like that. So, no special hardware. Just plain old pc hardware with mac os on it.

So, it’s not much of a hardware issue but a software one. And I guess it’s a proprietary deal between Apple and AVB creators...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AVB is free to implement. macOS comes with a standards compliant implementation that supports some Ethernet NICs. Windows does not.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 AM

I don't suppose there is any update on Carbon for Windows?

thx
Old 03-25-2021, 01:17 PM

Not yet(and trust me, Kyle may hate me before long for bugging him). As far as I can figure it, AVB just doesn't work on Windows(yet) over Ethernet, so the solution may end up being an adapter of some kind to convert to a USB stream(hopefully USB3). This kind of adapter is something that RME just introduced, so it looks to be feasible(even if not cheap and simple). I felt the same way when the S3 was introduced as I would have bought one early on if it would have worked as an interface too(I have been on Windows since PT6.1). Avid have touted AVB as a major breakthru, but until it works on Windows, its not going to achieve its full potential

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2021, 01:26 PM

Thanks. Kind of what I expected. They must be losing a lot of $$$'s over this...about 4K just from me .