Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Smile After "bounce to disk" volume is low

I tried to research this on my own, but found no answer. When I bounce my mixes, the bounced files are very low volume. It sounds stupid, but it almost seems to me that there is a button to bounce at -18db that is engaged. When I mix, I am usually at -3 to +3db. Maybe someone has an idea what is going on. I use ProTools LE2, WIndows XP.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Default Re: After "bounce to disk" volume is low

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix922 View Post
I tried to research this on my own, but found no answer. When I bounce my mixes, the bounced files are very low volume. It sounds stupid, but it almost seems to me that there is a button to bounce at -18db that is engaged. When I mix, I am usually at -3 to +3db. Maybe someone has an idea what is going on. I use ProTools LE2, WIndows XP.
Is the Master fader at zero when you bounce?
Quote:
I use ProTools LE2
Do you mean ProTools LE with a DIGI 002?
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Felix922,

If these are truly mixes and not mastered they may not be loud like a comercial CD. If the mixes have been mastered and the volume is low then I can't help you. The only way I know of to lower the volume is to pull the master fader down. Since you say you are mixing at -3 to +3b I assume you are measuring this with something other that the dBFS metering in PTLE. Are you mixing through an outboard mixer? +3 dBu is not really that loud by todays practices.

If the mixes sound good, just turn up the volume on your CD player. A lot of loud music today has been crushed in order to maximize the volume and it has ruined the music. Listen to the new Metallica CD. It has been crushed into distortion and sounds terrible. Probably embarrassing for someone. The same music mastered for the video game Guitar Hero sounds much better.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Greg,

While you can certainly lower the Master Fader, it's better/best to lower the overall volume of the mix and leave the Master at 0. This is easily done by grouping all the tracks, going to the right past the very last volume automation point and pulling down the mix until the Master doesn't clip. You should also gain stage the plug-in chain on each track so that there are no clips occurring as the signal passes through the plug-in chain.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-19-2008, 11:35 PM

Bruce,

You are right. My train of thought was focused on a "one button" type of problem that Felix922 is having with his low volume. I wasn't trying to suggest a way to lower the volume. I thought there might have been a remote possibility that his master fader was down a bit. In my workflow ,when mixing, I generally don't hit the Master Bus with more than about -3 dbFS, usually less, all tracks properly gain staged. This gives you some room to work when mastering.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 09-20-2008, 10:10 AM

The master fader is up at 0. I did a test today. I bounced a track and then imported it back in the original file. Guess what...the bounced file is of lower volume then the master track.