Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-29-2005, 12:58 PM

Default UAD-1 / Tiger / LE 6.9.2 - Terrible !!

Anyone have ANY luck with this card ??

I grabbed one today, figured I'd add some DSP to one of the LE rigs, play around, and try some alternative products, I like the UA TDM plugs, thought this would be a nice boost to the G5 / 002 in the editing room.

The DP 1.8 G5 is the exact model UA lists on their site as "Working great", running "EXACTLY" what is reccomended... (10.4 / 6.9.2cs4 / UA ver 4.0.0

Inserting a plug "here and there" seems to work ok, although seems to introduce "Extreme Latency"

Inserting more then 3 instances of CS-1 - pro-tools will unexpectedly Quit

Inserting across several tracks simultainiously (Shift+Option, inserting across "selected" tracks)... some plugs will work, other's appear to load, but adjusting parameters does not effect sound.... those that DO effect the track, introduce latency beyond usabillity.

This card seems unusable to me... it's pretty much useless as far as I'm standing with it right now.... anyone else have a different experience with it, with LE ?

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 10-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: UAD-1 / Tiger / LE 6.9.2 - Terrible !!

OK, basically the UAD through the VST wrapper introduces about 1500 msec of delay per plug. This is a digi thing to keep LE users from using the UAD card as a way around buying an HD setup. In HD the delay is fully compensated for so there is no problem. Except of course the VST wrapper is a RTAS plug so it can't be used on Auxes or the Master (grrrr), at least until PT7 comes out.
In LE the only way around the delay problem is to make separate playlists and nudge the audio back the approrpiate amount, (displayed when you control click the volume value in the track you have a UAD inserted on). You can use a UAD plug on auxes by copying the track you want to send, nudging the new track back, and using that as a send to your aux. Basically a huge pain the the butt. I will say that the plugins sound GREAT when you get it all working and the value is amazing. I think it's totally worth the extra effort, you can have a great sounding Pultec and Fairchild for a fraction of the RTAS versions. Actually, for the amount digi charges for those plugins you can get ALL the UAD plugs including a really great Limiter, and EMT140 Plate, and lots more.
As far as the quitting and lack of instances on the UAD card, that is wrong. I get many more plugins running although I have an older G4 and they supposedly work better. Make sure you have the latest UAD software version and if you already do, contact UAD, they will help you make it work. Maybe your card is bad.
PS I actually upgraded to HD this week for many other reasons, and now I REALLY love the UAD stuff.
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:53 AM

There is a bug in the UA-1 channel strip version 4.0. I have the exact same problem. I have 3 UADs and can only use 2 CS-1 (or any component of them such as EX-1 or RS-1). You need to go back to UAD 3.9 until this issue is addressed. Other than that, I can use plenty of all the other plug ins. Some think its related to the new tempo delay in 4.0

CA
Old 10-30-2005, 10:22 AM

Yeah the whole "Nudge a duplicate playlist while in LE" situation is way too much of a hassle... if I'm going to buy something I want it to "Just work" I've taken it back to the store, and paid an "Open Box penalty" ... I'll consider it a rental to have tried the unit.

For the $500.00 for the UAD card, I'll likely buy a nice ChannelStrip plugin that "Just works", perhaps Metric Halo.... I can't be bothered with babysitting latency on LE, making notes, and flipping playlists back and forth when going back and forth between LE and TDM (Several times a day)

I know the stuff sounds great... but so do many other RTAS Authored plugins.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Yup, you're probably better off getting something else. It's alot of work just to use those plugins.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah the whole "Nudge a duplicate playlist while in LE" situation is way too much of a hassle...
I can't be bothered with babysitting latency on LE, making notes, and flipping playlists back and forth when going back and forth between LE and TDM (Several times a day).
Unfortunately, you have to slip tracks back with some RTAS plugs as well... some introduce 2048 samples latency, and you can imagine that when you are using more than oone plugin on a track....well it's track slipping time.

Just another feature (dly comp) that we require in PT LE, that is unfortunately missing.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3