Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-30-2022, 12:12 AM

Default transfer Pro Tools to a new ilok, means its lost?

Hi everyone
If I transfer my Pro Tools Licence to a new ilok will I lose it from my original ilok?

I want to keep one ilok in my main computer and one in my laptop.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:01 AM

Default Re: transfer Pro Tools to a new ilok, means its lost?

You have one Pro Tools license, for use on one machine at a time. You can install it on one iLok at a time. You need to move the iLok with the license on it between systems to use them, or buy two licenses.

You should also look at iLok.com and their ZDT insurance/license recovery options. And especially sign up for ZDT if you rely on this for work/income. And you should have a blank iLok on hand so that you can install a temporary replacement license on it from Pace/iLok if you lose or break the iLok you were using.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You have one Pro Tools license, for use on one machine at a time. You can install it on one iLok at a time. You need to move the iLok with the license on it between systems to use them, or buy two licenses.

You should also look at iLok.com and their ZDT insurance/license recovery options. And especially sign up for ZDT if you rely on this for work/income. And you should have a blank iLok on hand so that you can install a temporary replacement license on it from Pace/iLok if you lose or break the iLok you were using.
Many thanks, Will look at that insurance and get a spare ilok, though i dont understand how people have a number of iloks in different computers?
Old 06-30-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post
though i dont understand how people have a number of iloks in different computers?
Darryl explained it above. They have multiple licenses on multiple iLoks.

Unless the manufacturer supplies you with more than one license/asset (like a lot of plugin manufacturers do) there’s no other way to run multiple versions of Pro Tools without buying another license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2022, 11:19 AM

iLoks are a PITA. But IMNSHO less hassle than iLok cloud, and less hassle than some badly implemented non-iLok licensing. I'm glad many third party plugins I use a lot use well implemented machine based licensing across many DAWs and I hope vendors keep going that way.

People have multiple iLoks for lots of reasons.

Some folks working with studios or collaborating with others might be using iLoks that contain plugin licenses owned by others, they can't put them on *their* iLok because they are owned by a different users, so you use the other users/studios physical iLoks.

Some folks end up with multiple old Pro Tools licenses, especially stuff purchased as a part of a bundle and end up just holding onto them even if they never use them.

Some users will keep large/expensive plugin library licenses on separate iLocks so they can say load them up when working in a studio without also tying up their personal Pro Tools license, especially true if the plugin vendor allows multiple installation/license for their plugins (that's' the software vendors choice with iLok... Pro Tools itself only allows one.. and for bundles licenses like where an Ultimate license also includes Pro Tools standard/Studio... you cannot unbundle those onto different iLoks).

Some users will use multiple DAWs and even if the other DAW is not licensed via an iLok plugins you use with it may be (certainly true for me and Logic Pro), and they want to be able to separate use of plugin licenses from DAW licenses.

Some users will have purchased software or plugins on iLocks "on the iLok" and don't have access to the owning iLok account, or no account may exist.

Some users manage to screw themselves up and accidently create multiple iLok accounts with different products licenses to different accounts. Or they purchased pre-owned licenses from others by "taking over their iLok account" (best to avoid doing that).

Some users will keep licenses for different products they own even within one account on separate iLoks because they don't understand they can move them within an account.

---

In addition to looking at ZDT, I would consider attaching a keyring and ribbon (to make it visible/harder to leave behind) and an name/contact info tag, and a Tile or Apple AirTag tracker. The Tile tag on my iLok has saved my bacon in the past.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:11 PM

Many thanks for pointing this out Darryl.

Much appreciated.

I guess I am just paranoid about losing the ilok, so much so that if I travel I have been using Logic instead.
Maybe I should lighten up.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerochan View Post
Many thanks, Will look at that insurance and get a spare ilok, though i dont understand how people have a number of iloks in different computers?
I own 3 iloks. 3 licenses.

gen 3 silver ilok with PT studio
gen 2 ilok with PT express
gen 1 ilok with PT mp 9
Old 07-14-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Some users will keep licenses for different products they own even within one account on separate iLoks because they don't understand they can move them within an account.

---

In addition to looking at ZDT, I would consider attaching a keyring and ribbon (to make it visible/harder to leave behind) and an name/contact info tag, and a Tile or Apple AirTag tracker. The Tile tag on my iLok has saved my bacon in the past.
Keeping plugins on one ilok and PT on another is also a method of lowering risk of damage or loss.

Regarding attaching something to an ilok, I agree. I also like to use a short USB extention pigtail. It saves the connector, is a strain relief and makes it harder to lose.