Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Default Digidesign Digi 002 Console Windows 7 Issues

So I have a 002 console and a nice Windows 7 64-bit computer. I bought it used from a friend who gave me a PCI-E firewire 1394a card. I installed that card in my computer but experienced something odd: the computer wouldn't recognize it until after I installed the drivers and turned the computer off and back on again. But once it would recognize it, I was good. However, this happened several times so it's clearly not a driver thing at this point. I called Belkin who made that card and they informed me that the card is compatible with Windows 7.

SO! I go to Fry's and buy a SIIG PCIE card that has Firewire 1394a. I go home and install it along with its drivers. I go to turn on my Digi 002 and I get an error message saying: "(insert Chinese symbols here) Digi002 doesn't have installed drivers"

Naturally, I install the drivers AGAIN and get the same thing....

WHAT THE FRESH HELL IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!

Can ANYONE help me out!? I have a session I need to mix ASAP.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Digi 002 Console Windows 7 Issues

If you've been hotplugging your Firewire devices they may well be toast...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-19-2015, 10:27 AM

In addition to this^^^ are you aware of the dreaded "power harness" issue that affects nearly all 002 units? I have a mint 003 available for sale
BTW, which driver you use for the FW card can also make or break whether things work. Avid recommends using the LEGACY driver(and I would try that). That never worked for me(with 002 or 003). For me, the TI Compliant driver is the one that worked.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Is the SIIG card equipped with a texas instrument chipset?

Wave-T.com
Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM

Oh man. So many questions.

So I am aware of the power harness issue and had it taken care of accordingly.

As for anything being toast...it's hard to rule that. Mostly because my computer will still intermittently recognize the 002 console and work just fine. It's only when I install this SIIG card that it never works and says the whole: "(insert 7 Chinese characters) Digi 002 Drivers are not installed"

As far as the question if the SIIG card has Texas Instrument chip sets, the unit doesn't seem to say anything about Texas Instruments so I am going to bet no.

This issue still persists and I am slipping into insanity.

Any suggestions?

Anyone know of the PERFECT replacement PCIE card for this scenario?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwseruset View Post
As far as the question if the SIIG card has Texas Instrument chip sets, the unit doesn't seem to say anything about Texas Instruments so I am going to bet no.
Do you see any logo on any chips that looks like this

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Or at least post the model number of the SIIG card as many of them do have the proper TI chipset. The firewire driver is a critical setting, regardless of the card, so try all of them. On a friend's rig(just this week) his keeps reverting to a driver that does not allow the 003 control surface to function, even though audio still passes in and out. If I change it to the Legacy driver, it works perfectly(until it changes back on its own).

Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM

Hi..I am having an issue with my digi 002 display and faders. I have connected my 002 to my mac mini using firewire. I am with protoools 10.3.10. I get everything happening, except for the display and the moving faders. Initially the display appears, but once getting connected to my files, the display goes blank and faders do not move. Pls suggest a solution ASAP..
Thanks,
Mahesh
Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
Hi..I am having an issue with my digi 002 display and faders. I have connected my 002 to my mac mini using firewire. I am with protoools 10.3.10. I get everything happening, except for the display and the moving faders. Initially the display appears, but once getting connected to my files, the display goes blank and faders do not move. Pls suggest a solution ASAP..
Thanks,
Mahesh
My best advice would be to dump the old beast and get something newer(which will almost certainly sound better). If you can actually record and playback, you might also open the unit(the bottom panel), lift it slowly up, disconnect the 2 plugs on the power supply(which is bolted to the bottom panel) and set it aside. Now starting with the power harness connection(that you pulled off the PSU), follow it out to the other 3 connections. At each connection point, unplug and replug each connection 5-6 times. Then re-assemble and pray

Old 03-14-2016, 10:03 AM

Hi albee 1952.. Thanks for the COMPLICATED solution.. .. I did not try opening my 002 and making it still more complicated..
The problem got solved very easily..
1. I started the net
2. Right clicked the Protools 10 icon on the desktop
3. Clicked 'Troubleshooting compatibility"
4. Waited for 20 secs..
Voila.... ..It worked..
All my faders started dancing with colourful LEDs and all display back to position..
My composing continued again with ease...
Anyhow thanks a lot again for your immediate reply...God bless..