Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-31-2022, 05:45 AM

Default RODE AI-1 input

Hi

I hv the RODE AI-1 set up on my iMac. It works for all apps, i.e. the input and outputs, except in PT 10 it does not recognize the input. I hv tried all the possible tricks found on the internet, i.e. RODE firmware upgrade, hardware setup, playback engine and i/o settings changes but with no success. I created new projects, rebooted, etc but no luck. I actually had it working once after I unplugged a USB midi interface and after I then created a new project and created a new track. However once I used an old project, it stopped working and since then I haven't been able to get the input to be recognized.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2022, 08:14 AM

Default Re: RODE AI-1 input

More information might help. Please add complete details on the computer, the OS and all external hardware(besides the Rode).

Things to consider:
1-its to be expected that projects that were done with a different interface will need to have the routing assignments updated.
2-one way to make a different interface be "seen" by the session as if it were the old interface is to name the IO the same as the old interface(not sure if that is desirable).
3-any time things don't work as expected, check to see if the "audio engine" is still using the correct interface(maybe its defaulting to the Mac CORE audio). That's under Setup>Playback engine.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-31-2022, 08:49 AM

Yes detail, any details, would help. starting with what exact macOS version.

This is about as simple an interface as possible and class compliant so should just work.

You don't make clear at all you mean by "not recognize the input". Like was the input walking down the street wearing a disguise and Pro Tools walk right past without noticing them? What *exactly* happens in Pro Tools, include screen shots if needed.

You need to double check the playback engine is set to the AI-1 every time you start Pro Tools. Set to the actual device, do *not* use aggregate IO.

If you mean there is no input selector available on a track then you are likely incorrectly trying to use a stereo audio track instead of a mono audio track...the AI-1 is mono input, you always record to a mono track.

Or if that is not it then maybe the Setup>IO is messed up, and you can use the default button on the input page... there should only be a single input path listed there, and it does not matter what name it has, or if the name seems wrong, you should be able to use that OK in the track input selector.

Or if that is not it do you mean you can select an input on an audio track...but you never hear any sound and never see a track meter move... then it might be you have not correctly granted Pro Tools microphone privilege in system privacy & security preferences. But hard to see how you would hit that with old Pro Tools 10 on older macOS versions, before that privacy feature was added.

Or if you just cannot hear audio as you are recording, but the track meters move and you can hear audio when playing back, then you likely have low latency monitoring engaged in Pro Tools which disables software monitoring through Pro Tools but you do not have hardware monitoring turned on in the interface.

If it is some other problem, describe it exactly, if is no sound do meters move, etc. can you play back audio from a prerecorded track? Like a known good audio file you import into a session?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-31-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:46 PM

Just to add my 2 cents: Protools has always been finicky with audio devices in that it does not like to share. If your Rode AI-1 is being used or assigned in another application of even the OS itself as an audio device, Protools may have issues. Try to assign all other applications that are running and the OS to some other device like built-in speakers output and built-in mic input. Then reboot and try Protools again as the ONLY application using the Rode AI-1 as a dedicated device.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-01-2022, 01:32 AM

Hi

Thanks for the responses. I hv the iMac14,2 (27-inch, late 2013) with Sierra v10.12.6 and use PT 10.3.4.

I hv done all the setup things (playback engine, I/O setup, etc) but when I create a new project with a new mono track, the input is n/a but the output is. So playback is fine but it seems PT does not "see" the input from the RODE AI-1.

All other apps does "see" the input of the RODE as I can send a signal from the mic to any recording app.

As I mentioned before, I did see the input once on a new track. That was after I removed a midi device from a USB port, rebooted and relaunched PT, created a new project and a new mono track and the RODE input was "seen" by PT. However, once I opened an old project, the RODE input was not "seen" by PT any longer in a new mono track. Even after repeating a reboot, etc. the RODE input is no longer "seen" by PT. I did "check" the setting in I/O to "Sessions overwrite current I/O setup when opened" and also tried it un"checked".

So in short PT works fine with the output of the RODE but the input option for the interface on the track is seen "front centre (mono) - path n/a".

Hope I'm more clear and once again thanks for responding
Regards
Old 06-01-2022, 01:42 AM

Hi

Something also I see now, is that when in PT you choose the "Setup" from the menu options and choose "Hardware", the Audio Devices pop-up window shows the RODE AI-1 but the Input Master volume slider is set to "zero" and cannot be changed (greyed out)
Old 06-01-2022, 05:44 AM

Or if that is not it then maybe the Setup>IO is messed up, and you can use the default button on the input page... there should only be a single input path listed there, and it does not matter what name it has, or if the name seems wrong, you should be able to use that OK in the track input selector.

Did you Default the input as suggested? What exactly is shown in Setup>IO>input. big clear screen shot time.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:41 AM

Thanks again for the reply - I've attached two screenshots - does that help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot at Jun 01 16-33-13.jpg (37.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot at Jun 01 16-28-27.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:31 AM

Yes. The IO Setup is totally messed up in IO>Setup>Input. You have a single mono input not anything showing there. As a single input it will be input port 1 on the interface.

First, to check are you seeing two separate audio devices in Audio/MIDI setup one for input and one for output for this device. If so that's very poor product design on their part, not what I'd expect from R0de. Stop there and let me know.

If that is *not* the case...

Why is session IO set to override default IO? Clearly the session IO aint what you want. Uncheck that for now.

As suggested before... default the path. You can select the paths in Setup>IO>Input with the mouse, and press the Delete button. Then press the Default button. What appears now?

All that is doing is doing is querying the driver, in this case the class compliant driver, how many inputs it has and what default names for them are, since its using the class compliant driver that knows nothing about this interface it should just create something generic like "Input 1".

If for whatever reason the Default button does not work you can just create the input path labels by hand. With any other paths deleted Create a new *mono* input path, call it whatever you want, the text string name does not matter in the least. After you do that that name should show up as an option in the track input selection button.

If there are any problems doing that, trash prefs (use Pete Gates PTPrefs utility finable online).

You maybe should read the Pro Tools Reference Guide about Setup>IO and understand what it's doing, for trivial stuff like this you don't need to know much, but how this works is one of the best things about Pro Tools. And it's good to see how much stuff is in the Reference Guide, most of it very very well written.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galjoen777 View Post
Hi

Something also I see now, is that when in PT you choose the "Setup" from the menu options and choose "Hardware", the Audio Devices pop-up window shows the RODE AI-1 but the Input Master volume slider is set to "zero" and cannot be changed (greyed out)
And that is perfectly normal. The interface will not have a remote/CoreAudio adjustable mic gain. What I want to make sure is Audio/MIDI setup shows buttons for Input and Output (in the right-hand pane) in the single device you are using. That you don't have two separate devices (i.e. in the left hand pane) one for input, and one for output.