Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Re: After upgrading to 12.7 > Inputs not available?

I was on Sierra, stable for weeks, all good, until I pressed update last Saturday, had to wipe everything off, just barely have my plugins re installed.

Focusrite told me this yesterdayyeah long after I have wipe my computer off to install the Captain):

Thanks for the email, sorry to hear you are having some issues.

The issue that you are having will probably be being caused by a driver on your system. Can you please go to Finder > Mac HD > System > Library > Extensions and trash the file:

Scarlett2ndGen.kext

Then empty the trash and restart the mac. You should find that this will resolve your issues.

If you do continue to have an issue, With your Scarlett 2i2 (2nd generation) connected, could you please open, save and send me a copy of your System Information as an attachment to the reply in this e-mail? To do this, navigate to:
Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info... > System Report > File > Save...

Unless anything serious is going on with 12.7, I don't see anything good reason to move
Old 12-22-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawer View Post
Had the same problem last week and I had to move back to El Captain... not sure if I'm gon move to 12.7 anytime soon...
What method did you use for downgrading?

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 12-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
What method did you use for downgrading?
had to wipe my drive, and then it just went back to the original OSX that I probably had at first (Mac Mini 2014).

Honestly just wanted my normal Sierra, the one before the very last update that I have done on Saturday.

I think the last Sierra Os came on the 15th of this Month.

All that to say, I agree that the last OSX Sierra has messed my all system up, but hey, I'm the one who pressed update so can't blame anyone, I have a friend on PT9 on Yosemite and he only talks about music not update and all that madness
Old 12-22-2016, 08:00 PM

Apparently the latest version of Sierra 10.12.2 is, for some reason, splitting the Scarlett 2i2 in to two separate devices: One is an Output device and the other is an Input device, which I think explains why it shows two Focusrite 2i2 on the menu. No matter which I select though, it always defaults to the Output one, which explains why I can hear audio through the 2i2, but have no Input paths available...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 11.00.14 PM.jpg (36.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-23-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
Apparently the latest version of Sierra 10.12.2 is, for some reason, splitting the Scarlett 2i2 in to two separate devices: One is an Output device and the other is an Input device, which I think explains why it shows two Focusrite 2i2 on the menu. No matter which I select though, it always defaults to the Output one, which explains why I can hear audio through the 2i2, but have no Input paths available...
yeah, thats why I had to wipe my everything off my disk and re install everything, but I did had an answer from Focusrite 3 days later:

The issue that you are having will probably be being caused by a driver on your system. Can you please go to Finder > Mac HD > System > Library > Extensions and trash the file:

Scarlett2ndGen.kext

Then empty the trash and restart the mac. You should find that this will resolve your issues.

If you do continue to have an issue, With your Scarlett 2i2 (2nd generation) connected, could you please open, save and send me a copy of your System Information as an attachment to the reply in this e-mail? To do this, navigate to:
Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info... > System Report > File > Save...

** Sierra 10.12.2 update**

We have encountered an issue where Scarlett Solo/2i2/2i4 interfaces will appear as a separate Input and Output device in 'Audio MIDI Setup' on the latest build of Sierra (10.12.2). Whilst we do not foresee this causing any major issues, it is something we are currently investigating and so would not advise updating to this latest build for the time being. (Note this does not apply to the Scarlett 6i6/18i818i20 interfaces).

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-macOS-Sierra-

Last edited by Rawer; 12-23-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
yeah, thats why I had to wipe my everything off my disk and re install everything, but I did had an answer from Focusrite 3 days later:

Scarlett2ndGen.kext

That driver would only be present if you installed the optional low latency driver, which I didn't. That's not the answer Focusrite...

Old 12-23-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
** Sierra 10.12.2 update**

We have encountered an issue where Scarlett Solo/2i2/2i4 interfaces will appear as a separate Input and Output device in 'Audio MIDI Setup' on the latest build of Sierra (10.12.2). Whilst we do not foresee this causing any major issues, it is something we are currently investigating and so would not advise updating to this latest build for the time being. (Note this does not apply to the Scarlett 6i6/18i818i20 interfaces).

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-macOS-Sierra-
HAHAHA, It won't cause any major issues, because you simply won't be able to record anything...

I'm back on El Capitan...

Old 12-31-2016, 12:53 PM

From Focusrite (after had gone back to El Capitan, so haven't tried this...

"We just started seeing this odd issue with the release of the newest Sierra update, 10.12.2.

In this new update to OS Sierra the Scarlett Solo, 2i2 and 2i4, are showing up as two separate devices, one for Input and one for Output.

Thus in DAWs where you select the Scarlett you are only able to use Inputs or Outputs, but not both, resulting in either no Input or no Output depending on which you select.

We have a work around for now, but we are looking into a better long term resolution.

Please open the Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

Press the small + sign to create a new Aggregate Device.

In this new Aggregate Device add both the Scarlett 2i2 Inputs and Outputs.

Then select this Aggregate Device in your DAW.

This should allow you to use both Inputs and Outputs of the Scarlett until we find a better fix for this issue."

Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Hello friends, I'm new here and appear to be experiencing a similar problem with my Scarlett 2i2. Specifically, the output functionality to my speakers/headphones is working, but I'm unable to use the input functionality - in fact, I have no available input IO options whatsoever (See attached image).

Based on the previous responses, it appears the Sierra 10.12.2 update and the "splitting" of Scarlett input and output ability is the culprit. Per the latest reply, I did attempt to create an "Aggregate Device" which includes both the input and output for the Scarlett 2i2 (See attached image), however, this does not seem to be working. Has anyone else had success with this methodology?

It would seem that the only legitimate solution at this point is a downgrade of macOS, which isn't as easy, as I don't have Time Machine set up (I know, fail!). Certainly welcome any other thoughts/suggestions as I try to resolve this issue.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.47.19 PM.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 9.47.38 PM.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Hey there - well I never claimed to be a Pro Tools pro, but it appears I may have confirmed that I'm a novice! :P

It appears that while I created the "Aggregate Device" correctly, which combined the Scarlett 2i2's inputs and outputs into a single device, I hadn't selected this device as my "Playback Engine" within ProTools 12.7.

Once I selected this "Aggregate Device" as my "Playback Engine" everything worked perfectly. A silly oversight on my part, but I wanted to share just in case anyone else experiences this issue.

Thanks,

Daniel