Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Since yesterday , my focusrite 2i2 won't have any insert.

I've updated my Mac mini late 2014 8GB of Ram
To OSX 10.2.2

I work on Pro Tools 12.6.1 mainly to record my vocals, produce and do some mixes here and there.

Since yesterday , my focusrite 2i2 won't have any insert.

Somehow, I can see two Scarlett 2i2 in the playback engine tab. Was only one before.

Cannot recording anymore as no input is recognized.

The USB cable smelled like burnt, changed it no luck.

I've done the Classcompliant Mode stuff that was recommended on the focusrite website but same thing. No joy at all. Do I have to buy a new sound card now?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Since yesterday , my focusrite 2i2 won't have any insert.

That's even worst now guys: went to preferences/sound/Scarlett USB clicked on input, clicked on Scarlett, the all computer went OFF, something ain't right, did it 2 times same issue, computer just goes completely off and restarts
Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 AM

10.2.2? 10.12.2?

You have no Focusrite driver installed at all right?

Either the hardware is dead or you caused a problem when messing with software. So your easy job is to work out which...

What happens when you physically disconnect the interface and use built-in output as the playback engine? Pro Tools works OK? If not try trashing prefs.

With Pro Tools not running can you play system audio through the interface? (Set up in Audio/MIDI setup). If not then test the interface on a different computer.

No inserts? In the Pro Tools GUI? What *exactly* do you mean? You can show and hide all inserts in the GUI, are they just hidden? It's hard to imagine any interface issues affecting inserts/plugins in any way.

There are known GUI bugs on unsupported Pro Tools / OS X combinations where plugin names will not appear in the insert/plugin menu list. But that should not affect Pro Tools 12.6.1 AFAIK.

What was your recovery plan for if the OS X upgrade failed?

Why were you upgrading OS X to start with? Trying to solve what problem?

You should not be relying on insitu OS X upgrades. Avid warns against them for good reason. If you need to upgrade OS X you should have gotten a spare drive or free partition on a drive and done a full clean install of OS X and your apps onto that and tested that and if OK then use as is or clone back over your current boot partition. Even if you want to do an insitu upgrade you should have first made a bootable clone of that to test on (or recover from).

Things still messed up and you don't have a recovery plan then go get a spare external disk drive and do a full clean install of OS X (older or newer version, the one you most need), just ILM and Pro Tools, no third party plugins or other apps, etc. and optimize that and test that it works if so then install other stuff. Do not use the OS X system migration tool to move apps or drivers etc, only user accounts....
Old 12-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
10.2.2? 10.12.2?

Either the hardware is dead or you caused a problem when messing with software. So your easy job is to work out which...

What happens when you physically disconnect the interface and use built-in output as the playback engine? Pro Tools works OK? If not try trashing prefs.

With Pro Tools not running can you play system audio through the interface? (Set up in Audio/MIDI setup). If not then test the interface on a different computer.

No inserts? In the Pro Tools GUI? What *exactly* do you mean? You can show and hide all inserts in the GUI, are they just hidden? It's hard to imagine any interface issues affecting inserts/plugins in any way.

There are known GUI bugs on unsupported Pro Tools / OS X combinations where plugin names will not appear in the insert/plugin menu list. But that should not affect Pro Tools 12.6.1 AFAIK.

You should not be relying on insitu OS X upgrades. Avid warns against them for good reason. If you need to upgrade OS X you should have gotten a spare drive or free partition on a drive and done a full clean install of OS X and your apps onto that and tested that and if OK then use as is or clone back over your current boot partition. Even if you want to do an insitu upgrade you should have first made a bootable clone of that to test on (or recover from).

Things still messed up and you don't have a recovery plan then go get a spare external disk drive and do a full clean install of OS X (older or newer version, the one you most need), just ILM and Pro Tools, no third party plugins or other apps, etc. and optimize that and test that it works if so then install other stuff. Do not use the OS X system migration tool to move apps or drivers etc, only user accounts....

I've stupidly pressed upgrade on the App Store, I never really experience any issues on upgrades.

I can hear sound, but no input available within protools. Will probably try to card on another mac tomorrow so roll that out too but I doubt it, I'm screwed.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawer View Post
I've stupidly pressed upgrade on the App Store, I never really experience any issues on upgrades.

I can hear sound, but no input available within protools. Will probably try to card on another mac tomorrow so roll that out too but I doubt it, I'm screwed.
Uh we cannot guess what you are doing or what specific suggestion you are trying out. You can hear sound when? When using built-in output as the playback engine? Yes there won't be any outputs available there since built in-output is output only.

Try to do all the things I suggested and reply to each one inline stating clearly what the results were.

So I take it you (as you said ) stupidly installed macOS Sierra. But given its likely one of the better OS X/macOS versions in a long time I'd tend to try getting that working. So if it looks like you have software (not the interface) problem then go do a clean install of Sierra on a spare partition or new drive as described before.

Oh and your kernel panics...you likely just need to remove a kext (driver) that is causing that. Google search found this first go (sierra + Focusrite + 2i2 + panic)...

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...carlett-on-Mac
Old 12-18-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
10.2.2? 10.12.2?

Quote:
We cannot guess what you are doing or what specific suggestion you are trying out. You can hear sound when? When using built-in output as the playback engine? Yes there won't be any outputs available there since built in-output is output only.

Try to do all the things I suggested and reply to each one inline stating clearly what the results were.

What exact OS X version did you (as you said ) stupidly install?

Built in working with no problem, but the sound is in the computer.

I can hear sound when using the Scarlett but only the internal one, I cannot hear my microphone since no input is available when trying to go to interface and choose 1 or 2 like I usually would do.

I've installed the last version of Sierra
Old 12-18-2016, 11:54 AM

I was editing my previous post as you replied. Have a read of that, follow the directions to remove the ext.

If you can't work out how to edit quotes in the forum just copy and past my questions as text and reply to each one as you get time. Replying below a large block quote makes things unclear what exact thing you are replying to.

Quote:
I can hear sound when using the Scarlett but only the internal one, I cannot hear my microphone since no input is available when trying to go to interface and choose 1 or 2 like I usually would do.
What exactly do you mean "the internal one" You mean when the 2i2 is selected as the playback engine that you still hear sound coming out of the computer build-in output? Or you mean you can hear hardware monitoring fromvia the 2i2 (which is useful, it tells you part of the interface is working, and that the interface shows up at all shows you some other parts are working)

It's very unlikely that a software update kills the hardware, and very likely that a software update, uh kills the software.

Now forget Pro tools... does the 2i2 work as a systems sound device? If removing the ext and rebooting does not fix that then I'd be grabbing a spare/drive partition and starting a clean OS X install.

Basically just download the Sierra installer from the App Store onto your current boot drive. Run the installer there but when asked point it to the *other* drive/partition you want to install on. As always its a good idea to back up all critical files/sessions before doing brain surgery on your computer (so in this case on something like a third spare drive).

There are ots of directions (including from Apple) on the web about how to do OS X/macOS clean installs.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:12 PM

Internet one: Mac mini built in.

I have done a clean re install of OS X Sierra. Same issue.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawer View Post
Internet one: Mac mini built in.
You mean if you select the 2i2 as playback engine you hear audio on built-in Output? Sorry that is not really possible/likely. It is much more likely you have the wrong playback engine selected or are confusing yourself with Aggreate IO (you should not be using an aggregate device as the playback engine)

Quote:
I have done a clean re install of OS X Sierra. Same issue.
Which of the several issues are you now talking about? If you have a clean Sierra install and the interface does not work (especially for system sound) then it is not really a Pro Tools problem. In that case you can try the 2i2 on another computer, but you probably should just contact Focusrite support. They are normally pretty responsive.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM

The latest update to Sierra seems to be causing a few people some headaches. Resetting PRAM and SMC is the recommended solution from what I have read, but it may not fix your problem if it is a driver related issue.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.