Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Default SC48 for mobile studio setup

I'm thinking about using my sc48 as a mobile studio. I'm into recording bands in interesting acoustic spaces as opposed to in conventional studio spaces.

I'm wondering what would make the sc48 the best possible mobile studio.
Would using a Big Ben make the recordings better quality? Can the sc48 clock at 192? Any other advice would be great.

(Ps. I own an sc48 as a live sound engineer. I'm not trying to switch to a different console or anything like that. I just want some ideas and feedback about using the sc48 for recording. )
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Default Re: SC48 for mobile studio setup

The SC48 can only clock to 48K. I can tell you that clocking to the Big Ben on a mix rack system while playing back about 30 tracks, makes an incredible difference on the way the stereo bus sounds.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM

I disagree with Nicolas about external clocking. It's been well documented, technically, why external clocks can't improve on internal clocking. All the subjective data has never been proved in a controlled "double blind" test and falls under the case of "expectation bias".

Being that you would likely stay digital all the way through the process, even if he were right, it wouldn't effect your mix quality anyway.

As mentioned above, the Avid Venue system only clocks at 48khz. I've done many recordings with the Venue and sound quality isn't an issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Clarke View Post
I disagree with Nicolas about external clocking. It's been well documented, technically, why external clocks can't improve on internal clocking. All the subjective data has never been proved in a controlled "double blind" test and falls under the case of "expectation bias".
+1

Don't waste your money on any clock for standalone purposes. Only get one if you need to lock several pieces of gear together.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM

Aside from clocking, what other tips and tricks does anyone have for using this console as a mobile studio?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaselangr View Post
Aside from clocking, what other tips and tricks does anyone have for using this console as a mobile studio?
I have built a studio around my Profile, so that the desk could be in use all days of the week, not only weekends (when shows happen in my small country). Anyway, while I think SC48 could be used, I would definitely consider a desk with Pro Tools HD capability. Additionally for me, PQ is MEGA cool. My system with PTHD, 8 x PQ controllers is just perfect.

When studio-tracking, all inputs come in on layer one of VENUE and go flat straight to Pro Tools. In PT, I submix (well actually just assign channel outputs) all incoming stuff to 16 channels (HD system with VENUE can do 16 assignables) and send back these 16 channels to desk Layer 2. It pretty much looks like this: All kick channels to Assignable 1 (Kick), all Snare channels to Assignable 2 (Snare), all toms to a Assignable pair 3-4 (Toms) and pan them in PT, all overheads to 5-6 (Oh's) pan in PT ect, ect, well you get the picture.

These return channels on VENUE feed Artist PQ systems (actually combination of Aux mixes and direct channels, each artist gets a stereo aux mix + important direct channels), so Artists have personal control over monitor mixes, lifting big task off of my shoulders.

EDIT: I forgot to add why I do this PT-as-insert-type of thing with the desk, well you guessed it right, for Tape-type-Punch-In recording! The only true way of tracking for me and my clients. And HD system's low latency is what enables me to do that. You could try a similar setup with SC48 and a good and powerful computer with small buffer, it might work and then it might start giving you too-small-buffer errors. I like to be safe and offer professional services, so PTHD for me.

Best of all, all of this is saved to a single Show file. So be it a rehearsal or tracking situation, with VENUE I can do tracking, virtual soundchek or live shows, no stress, no fuss, just perfect.

I'm wondering why Avid has put so little effort promoting how PQ systems work and how well they are integrated to the system (mirrored control of PQ controllers). I really think this sets VENUE desks apart of the competition. While many systems have Ipad control, robust, heavy-duty cable systems with real buttons and knobs are always way better. And have you tried using Ipad in direct sunlight? FAIL!

So I truly hope PQ systems are not being dumped on future VENUE releases and are developed further and PQ mixers opened up for more channels and input options.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 AM

If you are going to be doing live takes only, then run the monitors and the mix from the Venue. If however, you are planning on overdubs, use the Venue as a mic amp/interface and run the mixes from Pro-Tools assigning returns to HDX for monitor mixes.

My only Caveat on the above, is that I run a Mix Rack and as such have PT HD, I'm not sure how latency will be running PT Native, I would run some tests to see what you can and can not get away with.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Clarke View Post
If you are going to be doing live takes only, then run the monitors and the mix from the Venue. If however, you are planning on overdubs, use the Venue as a mic amp/interface and run the mixes from Pro-Tools assigning returns to HDX for monitor mixes.

My only Caveat on the above, is that I run a Mix Rack and as such have PT HD, I'm not sure how latency will be running PT Native, I would run some tests to see what you can and can not get away with.
Do you give this advice because of latency problems between mic inputs and the firewire inputs? if you could go in depth about this i would appreciate it. Im wondering why, if any, it might be a bad idea to just track everything while using playback through the console (using auxes as monitoring feeds). does anyone forsee this being a problem? also, can sc48 record while it is playing audio back through the console via firewire?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaselangr View Post
Do you give this advice because of latency problems between mic inputs and the firewire inputs? if you could go in depth about this i would appreciate it. Im wondering why, if any, it might be a bad idea to just track everything while using playback through the console (using auxes as monitoring feeds). does anyone forsee this being a problem? also, can sc48 record while it is playing audio back through the console via firewire?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've not visted the forums for nearly a week.

My caveat is based only on the potential latency using PT native as against HD or HDX. Quite possibly you will be fine, it's just that I can't tell you that from experience as I am an HD user.

Using the auxes as monitor feeds is fine, however, I'm not sure how many returns you get using an SC48 whilst in input mode. In my scenario, I have a Mixrack system and I would be able to return 16HDX inputs whilst still being able to track/overdub, for a lot of my projects that wouldn't be enough without first submixing within PT. From this point of view it is as well to do your mixes within PT itself and just feed monitor mixes back through the HDX. It also has the added advantage that if you are building mixes within PT as you go along they are there for a final mix. Mixing back through the desk itself isn't a problem, however, there are limitations such as automation so unless you want to do everything on the fly you would still be mixing as a combination of PT and the Venue. This may not be a problem for you, however, if it's for an album, the benefit of being able to have the total recall inside the box, for possible mix updates becomes a real advantage.

Either way is possible, it's just that I feel the ergonomics of working my way, suit me better in my experience, YMMV.

Of course, the future may be a more intergrated system where the venue is not only a controller for the mix system, but a controller for Pro Tools, it's not hard to imagine as it's close to this anyway.