Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 04:49 AM

Default Rather Spectacular Mid-Show White Noise Attack!

Hey all,

For the first time in 700 shows with our FOH Venue, I had a pretty spectacular Venue crash/fail this weekend.

The result was White Noise blasting out of all my outputs, some at nearly 0dBfs.

I'm using big system (10 VDosc + 4 dVDosc per side) which meant that this blast hit about 112dB in the back row.

Luckily, i hit my 'Oh S&%t' All-Mute button after a split second.

Now, this has happened to me twice. The previous time was in a soundcheck.

My current config is as follows:
  • Mix Rack w/ 3DSP
  • 48 Ins, 16 Outs
  • 2.8.5 software

Both incidents happend when patching a plugin. So the plugin was already instantiated, and i was in Show mode, and i patched it as an insert to a channel.
You can obviously do this while in Show mode, and i have done so many times without issue.
Both times were different plugins. 1 was an EQ3 Stereo 7-Band, 1 was a Massey De:Esser. Once was inserting to an FX return, Once was inserting to a channel

Now, i know that the De:Esser isn't qualified for use with Venue. However, i have been using it for 3 years with no issue.

When the issue happened, i rebooted the console and selected 'Reset Mix Engine'. At which point, it thought for a while and then said something like 'Cannot access the hardware' at which point i hit retry and we were back up.

At the end of the show i ran DigiTest and everything passed.

So, i'm having difficulty pinpointing the issue. I have tried to replicate the problem without success.

Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Avid

Default Re: Rather Spectacular Mid-Show White Noise Attack!

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about this, that's never the experience we want our customers to have. Please send a copy of your show file to the support team (venuesupport(at)avid(dot)com).

From the sounds of this it could be related to an issue that was resolved recently in 2.9.1, and for which there will soon be a v2.8.6 for pre-2.9 users as well.

Sheldon
Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Rather Spectacular Mid-Show White Noise Attack!

So, it seems the pre-release software update fixes my problem. I'll keep you posted