How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 11:00 AM

Default FOH Cable Extention

Hello All,

I'm sure this has been visited before, but I need a longer FOH cable, abtou 16 feet. Near as I can tell, the cable contains CAN bus, VGA, Audio (headphones and Talkback) and USB.

I don't have a challenge getting a cable made, however does anyone know (Sheldon?) which signal is it that may need to be boosted? If CAN is the most length sensitive (I can't imagine USB, audio, or vga being the problem) can I gain a few feet (reduction in overall run length) by using interconnects between the sidecars that are just long enough (instead of the supplied ones that have a few feet extra each?

Please know I'm not planning to hold anyone at Digi accountable to this (I know this is an 'expiriment'), as I know the spec is 11 feet (I need 16). I'd just like some technical assistance knowing what kind of issues I might encounter, and maybe how the 11ft was arrived at. It is a fairly critical peice to this install.

Thanks so much to all!
Bryan
Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Avid

Default Re: FOH Cable Extention

Hi Brian,

Use of a cable other than the provided FOH Link is not supported by Digidesign.

In theory, the USB signals are the only ones needing an external booster at that distance; all other signals could be extended using a heavier gauge cable than what's currently used in the FOH Link cable. Pinout and connector details are provided for reference in the D-Show User Guide.

Sheldon
Old 01-30-2007, 12:41 AM

I don't know if this will help but check out this site.

http://www.gefen.com/

they do make extenders that you might need.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 01-30-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Hi Brian,

Use of a cable other than the provided FOH Link is not supported by Digidesign.

In theory, the USB signals are the only ones needing an external booster at that distance; all other signals could be extended using a heavier gauge cable than what's currently used in the FOH Link cable. Pinout and connector details are provided for reference in the D-Show User Guide.

Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,

If only the USB signal needs boosting, can the booster be placed inside the FOH Rack or the Main surface? If there is a lot of demand for a longer cable, maybe Digidesign can offer a thicker/longer cable (as an option) and maybe a booster for user installation?

Does that make sense?

I find it that for permanent installations there is a need for the FOH Rack to be located further away in some situations.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Avid

Hi Eytan,

This could be done but there simply isn't enough demand for it, and commercial "off the shelf " solutions are readily available. I realize it's a bit of custom engineering work to make a longer cable, but this can typically be absorbed into the cost of the installation.

Sheldon
Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 AM

We've extended the length of our cable, though it wasn't plain sailing.
The biggest problem we had was with the CAN pairs.

This is eventually what we did:
4 CAN bus pairs through Canare AES - suggest using Gotham mini-AES instead... Canare is too stiff.
VGA: Fat, low loss cable - connected straight to monitor instead of going through the console.
USB: off the shelf USB extenders

All other connections were carried by heavier gauge cable, approximately quadruple what's found in the FOH Link.
Hope that helps - you should be able to do about 100ft.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Avid

Thanks for sharing this Duncan. One important clarification: the maximum distance the CAN signals are qualified for is 75 feet. It may work beyond this under some circumstances, but it's really not recommended as random data errors can occur. The data errors will likely take the form of momentary control surface glitches, or possibly losing sections of the control surface altogether.

Sheldon
Old 01-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Hi Sheldon!

I'm about to make a longer FOH cable and I wonder if it's enough to run the CAN signals trough 90 ohm cable or do I need like the cables Duncan mentioned 110 ohm.

/Moses
Old 01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Avid

Hi,

Only 110 ohm cables suitable for digital signals should be used for CAN.

Sheldon
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 AM

Just out of interest - i presume CAN bus is CAN bus? As in, the variations between manufacturers implementations are the data being sent, not the protocol spec in terms of the way data is transmitted?

Because, d&b D series amps use CAN bus for remote control of parameters, and i can get this to run hundreds of meters using STP Cat5 cable.

Maybe wiring the FOH cable with STP Cat5 for the CAN pairs will give you a greater length?

Electrically it makes sense - twisted pairs gives you a high CMRR and overall shield prevents excessive outside EM interference...