Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Default Redundant BNC

Are there any Avid people out there who can explain to me exactly how the redundant BNC link works on a Venue system? What triggers it, what exactly happens to the data, how important is it etc. I can't seem to find any documentation.

The more technical the better.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: Redundant BNC

Hi,

The snake connection has a built in error-detection scheme (using CRC). When errors are detected it switches to the alternate connection (assuming one is present) within a few samples, usually inaudibly.

Given that the live environment can sometimes be unpredictable, the peace of mind offered by a redundant connection seems worth it to me. I've seen cables damaged by being run over by fork lifts, pierced by high-heeled shoes and squashed by burly security guards sitting their chair on top of the cable run, and in all cases the redundant connection kept the show going.

Sheldon
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks Sheldon, much apreciated.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 AM

While i wholeheartedly agree with having redundancy, i would respectfully suggest that all of the above examples merely highlight a poor choice of cable route, or lack of adequate cable protection.

The danger with having a backup, is that people become less careful with the primary. This applies to all sorts of system scenarios, not just live audio...

Just because we have a backup, doesn't mean we should expect to use it! I have a UPS on my venue system, and i always use redundant connections (except in some installed environments). Yet i have never been forced to use either - lets hope it stays that way...
Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Even though I always try to use a redundant connection, it seems a little funny to me that many engineers run the primary and redundant connections through the same pathway. When possible, I always try to run them different routes. I am also a very big fan of UPS'. I have one in pretty ,uch every rack which I build. IMHO, it is always better to have a backup system and never use it, rather than caught by surprise without one.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 AM

Speaking from the live/tour point of view, I find the redundant BNC's invaluable. Obviously we do our best to keep our cables in good shape and in safe places, but guess what? Sometimes its a muddy tent at an enormous festival where the snake gets run unprotected through the middle of a crowd of punters, or yanked through a trough under the stage across sharp edges and god knows what else and there isn't much we can do except baggie the connectors, keep an eye on the hands, and pray.

I can't remember how many times in the middle of a show day I've noticed a bad line out of the four, but I've never heard a signal loss, thanks to redundant in and out. Compared to copper, the cost of BNC is nothing, and running redundant lines is an awfully small price to pay for the security it offers. Just my $.02