Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-18-2021, 11:43 AM

Default Playback engine in Pro Tools First

So I'm completely new to this. Was installing Pro Tools First via a tutorial and got to the playback engine configuration. As far as I understand, since I don't have any additional outputs or plug-ins, I should choose Built-In Output. The problem is, Built In Output is not in my drop down box. I chose MacBook Pro Speakers, as that seemed close enough. But when I open up a template and try to play the loops that come with them, I can't hear anything. I have chosen every other option from the Playback Engine drop down menu and still have the same problem. Am I doing something wrong? I'm on a MacBook Pro with a Catalina 10.15.7 OS

Last edited by Russell W; 05-18-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Playback engine in Pro Tools First

I’m guessing after choosing your onboard sound device as the playback device that you also set the default output to your speakers?

After that, all you should need to do is make sure the output of the track your loop is on is set to whatever the speakers show up as.

System Details
Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM

Pro Tools can be prickly about having only an output assigned. In AudioMidi setup, configure Pro Tools Aggregate to use the inputs and outputs on your MacBook. In Pro Tools, select Pro Tools Aggregate as your interface.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-19-2021, 03:52 AM

And don't forget to change security permissions in OSX to allow access to the microphone. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...hla1b1e1fe/mac

QAPLA!