Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Consolidating Clips/tracks

Okay, Ive spent 3 hours going through this board searching and cant find the answer, So I'm hoping someone can help me before I start drinking again...

Still waiting for some of my plugins to go AAX.. in the meantime I'm having to run PT 10...

I want to setup my tracks to open in PT 11

I've got 9 tracks.. all stereo

I go to edit/consolidate clips/locate the audio folder and there's like 18 files.. a left and right for each track??? when i import into PT 11 it gives them all seperated left and right tracks...

Can someone tell me how to consolidate the tracks to just one stereo audio track just the same way its on my PT10 so I can upload them into PT for further mixing?

Please anyone..

Thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Consolidating Clips/tracks

If there are plugs that are 10 only right now, you need to bounce and import or record to another track to render the tracks with the processing available only in 10. Then just open the session in 11 and keep mixing.

Consolidating ISN'T what you want. It's for when you want to flatten your edited track down to a single file.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaguitar View Post
locate the audio folder and there's like 18 files.. a left and right for each track???
Yes, when you consolidate your audio files, they will appear as 18 separate mono files in the Audio Folder not as 9 interleaved files.

Quote:
when i import into PT 11 it gives them all seperated left and right tracks...
When you import audio using Shift+Command+I, if the files have the same name (excluding the .L and .R), they should appear as 9 stereo audio files.

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to consolidate the tracks to just one stereo audio track just the same way its on my PT10 so I can upload them into PT for further mixing?
As a workaround that will take all of 10 seconds, open your session in PT11, import the 18 mono files, create 9 new stereo tracks, and drag the files down to the new tracks.

If this doesn't help, can you give a little more description as to the problem you're having?
OSX 10.15.5
Pro Tools 2020
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If there are plugs that are 10 only right now, you need to bounce and import or record to another track to render the tracks with the processing available only in 10. Then just open the session in 11 and keep mixing.

Consolidating ISN'T what you want. It's for when you want to flatten your edited track down to a single file.
Do I have to bounce each track individually? If I select them all the only choice i have is interleaved which will combine all tracks to one or the mono option which splits them like the way the consolidated did.. thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmusichead View Post
Yes, when you consolidate your audio files, they will appear as 18 separate mono files in the Audio Folder not as 9 interleaved files.

When you import audio using Shift+Command+I, if the files have the same name (excluding the .L and .R), they should appear as 9 stereo audio files.

As a workaround that will take all of 10 seconds, open your session in PT11, import the 18 mono files, create 9 new stereo tracks, and drag the files down to the new tracks.

If this doesn't help, can you give a little more description as to the problem you're having?
Thanks- what is the fastest way to take a tracks from PT 10 and open them in PT11? Bounce? Looks like I can only do one at a time... is there a way to bounce say 9 tracks to a folder and go into that folder and see just 9 tracks for upload into 11? Consolidating is a nice feature but dont like the fact it divides my tracks... thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Do I have to bounce each track individually? If I select them all the only choice i have is interleaved which will combine all tracks to one or the mono option which splits them like the way the consolidated did.. thanks for the help
Possibly. Depends whether the plugins have Audiosuite versions which would allow you to render them offline.

For example, if you have a track and it's got 4 plugs on it, two of which aren't AAX64 yet. If you want to work with that track in 11, you would have realtime render that track, with its plugins, to a new track (or Bounce/Import) to be able to continue working with it in 11.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks- what is the fastest way to take a tracks from PT 10 and open them in PT11? Bounce? Looks like I can only do one at a time... is there a way to bounce say 9 tracks to a folder and go into that folder and see just 9 tracks for upload into 11? Consolidating is a nice feature but dont like the fact it divides my tracks... thanks
Bounce is only one at a time (non HD) but you could Record many tracks at once.

Set up the routing etc and make one pass.

Remember, this is ONLY if you need to render processing not available in PT11 yet.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
you could Record many tracks at once.

This is probably the fastest/best way.
OSX 10.15.5
Pro Tools 2020
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Bounce is only one at a time (non HD) but you could Record many tracks at once.

Remember, this is ONLY if you need to render processing not available in PT11 yet.

Thanks, I'm using Slates SSD4 for my drums and still waiting for them to convert to AAX.. I'm printing the 9 individual drum tracks from midi to audio in PT 10's... so once in audio there are no plugins on the tracks... gonna comp/eq them in 11...

At the office now and not at my DAW... is it posiible that once i print those midi tracks to audio I can just save it as a new session and open it in 11 and bypass all that bouncing stuff altogether?

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
At the office now and not at my DAW... is it posiible that once i print those midi tracks to audio I can just save it as a new session and open it in 11 and bypass all that bouncing stuff altogether?

Thanks again for your help
Yes. I'm not familiar with SSD4 but I would assume you're using an instrument track or midi track that is feeding Aux Inputs or maybe audio tracks. Just make sure that each of these feeds a new audio track, set up the routing and press record. If they're feeding audio tracks already, you could select the output of SSD4 directly and record directly to those tracks.