Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Question Problem with firewire on Macbook Pro Windows XP Boot Camp

Hello everyone,
Let me start by saying that I recognize that running PT on a Mac with Boot Camp isn't currently supported. However, I wanted to throw this out there in case anyone has experienced anything similar and could offer their valuable input.
I bought a Macbook Pro last summer, it was the "early 2008" non-unibody model. It worked perfectly with my Mbox2 Pro (firewire 400) and Protools (7.4cs2), both in OSX and in Windows XP through boot camp. Unfortunately, the computer was damaged in Feb of this year, and I had to have it replaced with the newer, unibody MBP. Again, the Mbox2 pro and PT 7.4 work perfectly in OSX, but when I try to use them in XP, I run into trouble.
The software/drivers seem to install no problem, and all the lights on the mbox2pro light up properly, but if I start PT, it freezes at "creating dae objects". If I try to set the mbox as my windows audio device, it's fine until a sound attempts to play, then the system immediately locks up. In both cases, I'm forced to hold down the power button to do a hard shutdown.
I've done some research, read a lot of threads both here on the DUC and on the Apple forums, and my conclusion is that it might be because the firewire chipset on the new MBP's is an Agere, whereas the one I had on my old MBP was Texas Instruments.
So, I'm thinking about investing in an ExpressCard firewire adaptor with a TI chipset so that I can use PT in windows, but I wanted to see if anyone here has had anything similar occur? Are there any other causes that I might be missing? Both machines were dual-core with similar processors, so I don't think that's the issue. I've tried disabling the wireless adaptor, uninstalling bootcamp services, etc, nothing has helped.
I've also already spent money on new FW cables with no luck, I guess I just don't want to throw another $60 down the toilet buying one of these expresscards if it isn't likely to make a difference.

Thanks for reading, and for any help you can provide!

Ryan
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Problem with firewire on Macbook Pro Windows XP Boot Camp

Expresscard might just do the trick, just make sure it definitely uses a Texas Instrument chipset. I've used those in the past on older Mac Books and they worked fine, except don't let the card eject at all, otherwise I'd get instant kernel panic and lose work. And some models eject very easily if they get pushed in just a bit, then they spring out.

But first try launching Pro Tools, while holding down the "N' Key and it should bring up the Playback Engine window. Toggle the RTAS Processor settings from 2 to 1. Then press OK and see if Pro Tools will load.

Also, make sure you haven't install IE8. If you have try uninstalling Pro Tools and IE8, then install Pro Tools first, then IE8.
And sometimes trashing Cookies can help, oddly enough PT 7.4 goes through the cookie folder and can cause hang on DAE. Open IE7 or 8 and go to 'Tools' then 'Internet Options' then 'general' tab, then 'Browsing History' press Delete and make sure Cookies is checked and press OK.

Could also do MSCONFIG and DEP Fix: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=133039

Good Luck. I've seen Pro Tools work on Boot Camp so I know it's possible on some Mac's - hopefully you figure out whatever this issue is.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM

DO NOT INSTALL IE8!

There is a known conflict between Pro Tools and IE8. Most people, once they've installed IE8 can't even get Pro Tools to launch.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone, no worries about IE8, I'm a firefox user to the point that I hide all reference to IE on my machines.
I'll try holding "N" and try changing that setting, I hadn't heard of that before, thanks, hopefully it'll help. Otherwise, I'm shopping around for the expresscard... but it's difficult as a lot of manufacturers don't seem to list the chipset. The one I'm leaning towards is here: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16839328006
it says it has a TI XIO2200 Chipset.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Ok, well I tried changing the setting to 1 processor, but it still locked up... and again when I changed it back to 2. But thanks anyway, it was certainly worth a try.

It looks like I'll have to try the expresscard route, see if I have any luck with that.

It won't be the end of the world if it doesn't work, as I said, my setup is working perfectly under OSX, it's just that sometimes I like to do other work in Windows and have music/sound/etc routed through the mbox so that I can listen through my monitors instead of the crappy laptop speakers.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Ryan
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 AM

I just thought I'd update this thread for future reference. I ended up buying a firewire expresscard (bytecc bt-ecu2fw), which features a Texas Instruments XIO2200A chipset, and success!
I can now use my Mbox2 Pro on my unibody Macbook Pro, both in OSX and in Windows XP through bootcamp, without any problems.
As an added bonus, I can now run my external Firewire hard disk and the Mbox on seperate busses, which avoids the various glitches I previously encountered when I would switch one on before the other/etc.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM

I have an incredibly similar problem as you were having. Pretty much identical except I'm using an M-Audio 1814 interface. Everything worked fine on my older MBP. On this new one, I could install it but everything would freeze at "creating DAE objects" if I had it plugged into the FW800 port with the 400>800 adapter.

I already had a FW express card (http://sewelldirect.com/Dual-Port-13...xpressCard.asp) that I had used with for hard drives with no issues so I tried that. I can get the interface to be recognized and work to some degree outside of PT. However, when I open up PT now, my entire computer freaks out and runs at about 1/20 the speed it should while PT loads. Usually by the time it loads my computer freezes up.

Any suggestions?
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 AM

TO clarify, if IE8 is on your system, it can cause problems whether you actually use it or not. Launch your IE and see which version it is.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
TO clarify, if IE8 is on your system, it can cause problems whether you actually use it or not. Launch your IE and see which version it is.
Or check the Add and Remove Programs area. Depending on your Windows Update settings it may have installed IE8 without your knowlage since its being pushed out as a important update.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Question Re: Problem with firewire on Macbook Pro Windows XP Boot Camp

Hi

I think I have exactly the same problem, and it drives me crazy !! So thanks for your post.
Just to be sure before I go and buy the expresscard : on your new laptop, do you have a Firewire 800 or 400 ?
If you have a 800, is it the problem then ? OS X would run the Mbox 2 pro from the 800 FW port to the 400 of the Mbox without any problem. While windows XP can't...?

Thanks,
Fabien