Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Free Recall Notes Plugin!!!!!

http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html

It's at the bottom. I never realized it was there.

Steve Massey rules!!!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Free Recall Notes Plugin!!!!!

He is THE MAN!!!

Massey for president!

Thanks again Steve. Now we just need a great TDM Spectrum Analyser!!!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Aaah - awesome! Thanks, Steve.

Thanks, Kenny...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
http://www.smassey.com/plugin.html

It's at the bottom. I never realized it was there.

Steve Massey rules!!!!!
Hi,

And the talkback i was actually going to request for this plugin and he's done it!!

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Now we just need to share Recall presets.

I just made the Daking EQ and the Distressor.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

And the talkback i was actually going to request for this plugin and he's done it!!
Actually Steve, could you code one to do almost the opposite? go into mute when the transport is stopped?? always wanted this for my effects returns when recording with the talent, as its nice to have the effects on when running the session, but not when your talking between takes etc.

Rock-on MR M

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Actually Steve, could you code one to do almost the opposite? go into mute when the transport is stopped??
It bears repeating… one of the best aspects of using ProTools is its modular approach in building mixer components. ProTools is the audio equivalent of playing with Lego™. For example, I've been using “auto-muting” TB setups for ever (in both directions). Easy…

Auto-muting of TB Track during Playback

1 - Name a (mono) bus “*PB Key”
“PB” being PlayBack. I use an asterisk to distinguish—and identify at a glance—software paths from hardware ones.

2 - Create a “PB KEY” track (mono)
Put any continuos signal on this track—a low-mid frequency test tone will do nicely. To be frugal with disc space, print a few seconds of the test tone oscillator and repeat the region to cover the entire length of the session.

3 - Route the output of the “PB KEY” track to the “*PB Key” bus.
Use the track’s output, not a send. It keeps this key signal out of your monitoring and printing paths, and is more efficient DSP-wise.

4a - Insert Compressor With Key (sidechain) Input on your “TB Mic” track
Any compressor will do and its sound quality really doesn’t matter at all. What does matter is the the chosen processor be equipped with a “sidechain (Key) input.

4b - Select “*PB Key” bus as the (sidechain) Input on Compressor
In addition to selecting a “Key Source” some plugins require that the key/sidechain function be turned on, or switched from “Input,” or “internal,” etc. Know thy tools.

4c - Adjust Compressor Parameters
This is one of those rare occasions where the sledgehammer approach is preferred. The idea is for the compressor to clamp down as hard, fast and deeply as possible whenever the “PB KEY” signal appears at the sidechain input (which is only true when the transport is running). Like this:

Compression ratio: Maximum

Threshold: Adjust to be approximately 6dBs below the level of your steady key signal.

Range (where applicable): Maximum amount of gain reduction allowed by plugin.

Attack: Fastest setting possible

Release: Slow this down a bit (adjust to individual situations), just to create a smooth “fade in” of the TB mic(s), whenever the transport has stopped. This is especially welcomed by those in a session who are wearing headphones.

NOTE: Some compressors don’t offer enough gain reduction to completely mute a signal. No problem. Once all the steps listed above are completed, it becomes a simple matter of duplicating the compressor insert and its parameters until the required gain reduction is achieved. Option-dragging a plug-in is the fastest way to do this.

Auto-muting of Reverb Returns At Playback Stop

Repeat steps 1–3, as above.

4a - Insert Gate/Expander With Key/Sidechain Input on your “REV Return” AUX track(s)

4b - Select “*PB Key” bus as the key/sidechain Input on Gate/Exp

4c - Adjust Gate/Exp Parameters

The comments I added to steps 4a, 4b, and 4c in the first example, are valid here also, albeit adapted.

NOTE:
Be sure to eliminate (or make inactive) these gates/expanders prior to mixing. Even though your reverb signals will make it through as intended, their presence at this point is undesireable because…

a) you’re bound to unnecessarily color your delicate reverb signals, and…
b) they’re a waste of DSP.

The possibilities are nearly endless.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
It bears repeating… one of the best aspects of using ProTools is its modular approach in building mixer components. ProTools is the audio equivalent of playing with Lego™. For example, I've been using “auto-muting” TB setups for ever (in both directions). Easy…

1 - Name a (mono) bus “*PB Key”
“PB” being PlayBack. I use an asterisk to distinguish—and identify at a glance—software paths from hardware ones.

2 - Create a “PB KEY” track (mono)
Put any continuos signal on this track—a low-mid frequency test tone will do nicely. To be frugal with disc space, print a few seconds of the test tone oscillator and repeat the region to cover the entire length of the session.

3 - Route the output of the “PB KEY” track to the “*PB Key” bus.
Use the track’s output, not a send. It keeps this key signal out of your monitoring and printing paths, and is more efficient DSP-wise.

4a - Insert Compressor With Key (sidechain) Input on your “TB Mic” track
Any compressor will do and its sound quality really doesn’t matter at all. What does matter is the the chosen processor be equipped with a “sidechain (Key) input.

4b - Select “*PB Key” bus as the (sidechain) Input on Compressor
In addition to selecting a “Key Source” some plugins require that the key/sidechain function be turned on, or switched from “Input,” or “internal,” etc. Know thy tools.

4c - Adjust Compressor Parameters
This is one of those rare occasions where the sledgehammer approach is preferred. The idea is for the compressor to clamp down as hard, fast and deeply as possible whenever the “PB KEY” signal appears at the sidechain input (which is only true when the transport is running). Like this:

Compression ratio: Maximum

Threshold: Adjust to be approximately 6dBs below the level of your steady key signal.

Range (where applicable): Maximum amount of gain reduction allowed by plugin.

Attack: Fastest setting possible

Release: Slow this down a bit (adjust to individual situations), just to create a smooth “fade in” of the TB mic(s), whenever the transport has stopped. This is especially welcomed by those in a session who are wearing headphones.

NOTE: Some compressors don’t offer enough gain reduction to completely mute a signal. No problem. Once all the steps listed above are completed, it becomes a simple matter of duplicating the compressor insert and its parameters until the required gain reduction is achieved. Option-dragging a plug-in is the fastest way to do this.

Auto-muting of Reverb Returns At Playback Stop

Repeat steps 1–3, as above.

4a - Insert Gate/Expander With Key/Sidechain Input on your “REV Return” AUX track(s)

4b - Select “*PB Key” bus as the key/sidechain Input on Gate/Exp

4c - Adjust Gate/Exp Parameters

The comments I added to steps 4a, 4b, and 4c in the first example, are valid here also, albeit adapted.

NOTE:
Be sure to eliminate (or make inactive) these gates/expanders prior to mixing. Even though your reverb signals will make it through as intended, their presence at this point is undesireable because…

a) you’re bound to unnecessarily color your delicate reverb signals, and…
b) they’re a waste of DSP.

The possibilities are nearly endless.

IHTH.

ALL that faffing around and DSP usage

Lets just ask Steven Massey to make a plugin

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I thought Steven already made one for this purpose. . .
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
ALL that faffing around and DSP usage

Lets just ask Steven Massey to make a plugin
One man’s “faffing around” is another’s “application of noggin’ power to the task at hand.” I could be wrong but until somebody actually does write a plug for your special needs, you’ll be better off doing some faffing around of your own.

Silly me, I was trying to help. At any rate, you are welcome, Chris.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)