Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 08:43 PM

Default New S1- Page Buttons Don't Toggle

All,

I'm rather new to the S1 and Dock and have been watching video after video but I'm still unable to use a function that all of the videos mention. Do I need to reset the S1 to factory defaults?

Example: Pro Tools 2021.7 I'll select and attention any channel. After manually inserting two EQ's I should be able to select the Inserts or EQ button on the S1 then toggle between the two plugins by using the Page buttons...correct?

I can't get them to change at all. Is it me or is something wrong with my setup?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:36 AM

Default Re: New S1- Page Buttons Don't Toggle

No, the page buttons page through the parameters of that EQ you opened (unless it only has 8 parameters then there's only one page).
When you hit insert the page buttons page through the insert slots a-j . To open the shown insert you can hit the rotary encoder.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 AM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response. I have set up a test Audio Track. I inserted nothing but EQ's in slots A-E and Compressors in slots F-J.

No inserts are opened.
I have attentioned that track and have fader movement as expected.
The S1 OLED shows the correct track names.
If I click the "Inserts" button nothing happens; the plugin doesn't open.
The OLED doesn't change at all.
However if I click through EQ each of the five EQ's in A-F open; likewise for the Dynamics in slots F-J so this makes more sense.
Is this the expected way to work through the plugins?
Thanks for your help and guidance.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:57 AM

Sorry - one more...
I have opened several Aux sends on a track. Is there any button on the S1 that will close them? I believe I tested out this scenario with several plugins opened and once I clicked the Inserts button they all closed. It would be great if this applied to Sends as well.

Again, thanks!
Old 10-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmaster Rick View Post
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response. I have set up a test Audio Track. I inserted nothing but EQ's in slots A-E and Compressors in slots F-J.

No inserts are opened.
Pressing Inserts shows the top level inserts (a-j). Pressing Page will go through a, b ,c etc. Press the knob top when you see the one you want. Note the difference between Channel mode and Normal mode. (Shifted Flip button) In Normal mode each trach is separate and you have to page one at a time, in Channel mode it spills out the selected track across all 8 knobs. Going into an EQ, DYN or Inserts automatically switches to Channel mode.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:24 PM

Hi EJ!

OK so this is making more sense now. Is it safe to say it's not an exact science when it comes to plugin compatibility? I'm seeing some issues programming some Plugin-Alliance Channel Strips and their bx_digital V3. I also saw some oddities with UAD stuff.

What can you tell me about this?So when I created a Custom Knob for the bx_digital V3 I was able to select and drag each of the five-band parametric controls yet right in the middle of the pack the mid frequency doesn't show up on the OLED let alone work. I've tried this a few times.

It would help to know what I'm up against. I own large libraries of plugins from Waves, UAD and Plugin-Alliance.

Where do you recommend I go from here in learning the next steps of the S1 and Dock I purchased?

I appreciate your help.

Rick
Old 10-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Avid

Here is the best place to learn!

Can I assume that we are taking about Insert maps not the EQ or DYN maps? There are two types of maps the Inserts ones which come from the manufacturer, so it's up to them to put things where they want, and the EQ and DYN ones which are pre laid out for any supported EQ and DYN's. The Custom knobs feature allows you to create a unique Inserts map for each plugin and a new single EQ or DYN layout that will be used for all those plugins on the EQ/DYN functions.
The one issue with all this is if the plugin manufacture doesn't put the knob into their map, then it's also not available to the customer maps. Also, if they do something wrong in their map it can cause issues. So, the best way is for you to tell me the exact plugin, version of it and what knob isn't working and we can try and see if we see the issue here.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:35 AM

Hi EJ -

I'm pretty sure it was through the Inserts function but I'll confirm later today. That's an eye-opener for me so I'll make sure to create a few maps each way to see the difference.

On another note I am now thinking of adding a 2nd S1 to go with my S1 and Dock. I believe I saw a video somewhere that stated the OLED's act as a 1x16 combined instead of 1 x 8 (x2) meaning when mapped the encoders will allow for up to 16 functions at once to be modified?

As always...thanks.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Avid

Yes, all 16 knobs are used at the same time with 2 S1's. You can also use one S1 as a Masters S1 for Folders and VCA's.