Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Default Why Doesn't Avid Want My Money?

About 7 years ago, I purchased ProTools 7 LE. About a year ago, my computer got stolen. At that time, I tried to download my version of ProTools through the DigiDesign website and it wouldn't let me. I had to spend the $200 to upgrade to ProTools 9. Whatever. I finally got some money together, and now its Avid instead of DigiDesign, and my account tells me I don't have any products. Which isn't true. I have ProTools LE 7. And of course the website doesn't have any way that I can contact someone about it.

I just want some information about what I can do here.... Can I upgrade? Is my computer compatible? Do I need some sort of disc or number from ProTools 7 to do it?

Thanks for anyone's help! I'm going crazy here. I really don't want to use Logic, but I'm not going to spend money on a product I already have and registered.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Why Doesn't Avid Want My Money?

What AVID (or Digidesign) hardware do you currently own? PT7 requires hardware in order to run. Ownership of the software is based on the ownership of the hardware. If you have that hardware, you can use the serial number to request an upgrade path.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM

If the up/crossgrade to PT9 already happened, that hardware serial number was used and license placed on an iLok. If you download PT9 your iLok license will surely work. If you want to up/crossgrade to 10, you have to spend the $299 to do it ... BUT, would straighten out the license thing before that since you say there's no record of your registration and I don't know whether a 9-10 crossgrade will work without a prior account with registration? Probably not.

If your email address on this forum matches the email address of your Avid account, maybe someone will check after reading this forum post?

You could call Avid, but pack a lunch and have plenty of water as you wait on hold ...

Product Sales & Information Tel: 650-731-6300
Avid Assisted Support Tel: 650-731-6100

You could also try starting here if you have all the info: http://www.avid.com/us/support/register/audio

If not there's a link there to submit your case to support.

Last edited by WombatStudio.Org; 01-24-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: ink to link
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I had an MBox 2 but it stopped working so in an effort to lighten my load, I threw it away when I moved (its a long story). I really just wanted to upgrade to a version that allowed me to use whatever interface I wanted.

The support page only has a phone number. The assistance thing requires the serial number to the thing I don't have anymore which is I'm on the website trying to find information. haha, oh modern customer service. I could call but I shouldn't have to call anyone since I registered my product years ago. If they want me to buy their product, they really should have easier access to getting help, or design a website that isn't a labyrinth of nonsense.

Oh well. I guess I'm a Logic guy now :-/

I really do appreciate all the help! At least now I know!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Avid

Post Re: Why Doesn't Avid Want My Money?

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiesAreJerks View Post
About 7 years ago, I purchased ProTools 7 LE. About a year ago, my computer got stolen. At that time, I tried to download my version of ProTools through the DigiDesign website and it wouldn't let me. I had to spend the $200 to upgrade to ProTools 9. Whatever. I finally got some money together, and now its Avid instead of DigiDesign, and my account tells me I don't have any products. Which isn't true. I have ProTools LE 7.
If you bought and activated it online then it should have been in your account. If you bought something like an Mbox 2 with Pro Tools LE then registering it doesn't add the software to your account (since you have an installer disc). Even then, to stick with Pro Tools LE 7 you could buy a replacement installer from the store - you'd just need your LE Authorization Code.

Quote:
And of course the website doesn't have any way that I can contact someone about it.
Click "Avid Audio (Digidesign)" under Contact Us at the bottom of avid.com.

Quote:
I just want some information about what I can do here.... Can I upgrade? Is my computer compatible? Do I need some sort of disc or number from ProTools 7 to do it?
Did you actually upgrade to Pro Tools 9, or are you saying you thought that was your only option? (Not sure why you would be told the only option was to upgrade, so maybe I don't have all the details of your situation.) The Crossgrade from Pro Tools LE to Pro Tools 10 can be purchased here. See the Pro Tools 10 System Requirements for computer info.

Quote:
Thanks for anyone's help! I'm going crazy here. I really don't want to use Logic, but I'm not going to spend money on a product I already have and registered.
Depending on what computer and OS you are running, you could buy the LE 7 disc from the store, or if we can confirm your original purchase might be able to add the installer to your account. (Couldn't find any registration or account info based on your DUC email address.)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Where can I get the LE Authorization Code? Is it attached to my account in any way? At this point, I don't have any of the physical stuff that came with my purchase, but I did make certain to register it. Not only that, but the old Digidesign website listed it in my account. So its gotta be attached to my account somewhere.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Avid

Post Re: Why Doesn't Avid Want My Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiesAreJerks View Post
Where can I get the LE Authorization Code? Is it attached to my account in any way? At this point, I don't have any of the physical stuff that came with my purchase, but I did make certain to register it. Not only that, but the old Digidesign website listed it in my account. So its gotta be attached to my account somewhere.
I didn't find anything based on your DUC email, so I'm guessing that is different than the one you used to register. Will have CS email you directly to get your info.

P.S. You cannot run Pro Tools LE without an Avid/Digidesign interface (Mbox 2,etc.).
Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Just wanted to say that Avid customer service has been e-mailing me about this and they've been absolutely amazing!