Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 04:56 AM

Thumbs down Core Audio Not Working on 3rd Party Devices with 8.0.3 !

Hi All,

I have noticed that 8.0.3 has an introduced an issue with core audio not functioning on any 3rd party devices.

I have found this too be the case with the 002 hardware and also the HD Hardware with compatible versions of Pro Tools on both Leoapard and Snow Leopard. None of the normal digi fixes are working.

Currently running 8.0.1cs3 as a work around, but would like to upgrade to 8.0.3 for greater stability. Any help or feedback would be excellent.

Thanks

Michael W
Old 03-23-2010, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Core Audio Not Working on 3rd Party Devices with 8.0.3 !

No need for two almost identical threads (one for hardware and one for software). That being said, we need more info - what third party devices and software? Not just type but specific items.

QAPLA!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 AM

You should be much more specific. Your complete config, the 3rd party devices and softwares, workflow, etc.

I have very few problems lately with core audio on snow leo 10.6.2 with pt 8.0.3cs.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 AM

I don't know why anyone stops to help this guy - he never answers back with info needed when asked for it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Maybe he doesn't reply, but this is a known issue. Check one of the posts in the now-closed "prerelease" Mac forum. Who knows when it will get fixed. There is no work-around aside from reverting to earlier versions as the OP has done.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 AM

Ok, I'll be honest. I do not completely understand the root problem.
As I said, I have very few problems with the core audio behaviour with a digi003, snow leo 10.6.2.
This is why I asked his workflow, and how he tried to use things.
Till no answer, we cannot help.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:24 AM

Red face Re: Core Audio Not Working on 3rd Party Devices with 8.0.3 !

Sorry guys for the way late response. I thought I had my preferences in the DUC set to notify me via email when someone posts but I guess it wasn't.

My current configuration, is 10.5.8, and the Pro Tools Version I'm using is 8.0.1cs3. LE, the hardware is 002 Rack. My main machine is a 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro, 16gb Ram with 4 tb internal storage. All is pretty good with minor bugs here and there.

I've been wanting to upgradge to 8.0.3 cause i heard it was more stable so I did so and found that my core audio did not work with Reason / Record. So I had to go back a version cause none of the normal bug fixes worked

In the mean time I've been testing it on my mac lap top pro 10.6.2, and 8.0.3 cs1 with with the 002 hardware and still not mention or fixe by digi... However I did read on one post that someone spoke to Digi support and they said they were working on it in addition to the Quick Time delay and the many other problems that seem to pile up on this old code

I have a friend that used to worked for digi that said that the software is like a 1993 Honda that keeps going into the shop, the problem really isn't the support, it's the face that the code is old and unstable. Every problem just gets patched up, making it slow and clunky and then it introduces other issues. My opinion is that it needs a total rebuild to get the type of stability and performance you see in other audio software, I think if they don't do this soon they will loose the market.

What I always do is upgrade my lap top Mac Pro first, and test it rigorously with my 002 hardware and hope for a solution soon. Any input would be appreciated. I will also test and see if this is the case with other 3rd party software or if it's just Reason specific.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sorry guys for the way late response. I thought I had my preferences in the DUC set to notify me via email when someone posts but I guess it wasn't.

My current configuration, is 10.5.8, and the Pro Tools Version I'm using is 8.0.1cs3. LE, the hardware is 002 Rack. My main machine is a 2.66 Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro, 16gb Ram with 4 tb internal storage. All is pretty good with minor bugs here and there.

I've been wanting to upgradge to 8.0.3 cause i heard it was more stable so I did so and found that my core audio did not work with Reason / Record. So I had to go back a version cause none of the normal bug fixes worked

In the mean time I've been testing it on my mac lap top pro 10.6.2, and 8.0.3 cs1 with with the 002 hardware and still not mention or fixe by digi... However I did read on one post that someone spoke to Digi support and they said they were working on it in addition to the Quick Time delay and the many other problems that seem to pile up on this old code

I have a friend that used to worked for digi that said that the software is like a 1993 Honda that keeps going into the shop, the problem really isn't the support, it's the face that the code is old and unstable. Every problem just gets patched up, making it slow and clunky and then it introduces other issues. My opinion is that it needs a total rebuild to get the type of stability and performance you see in other audio software, I think if they don't do this soon they will loose the market.

What I always do is upgrade my lap top Mac Pro first, and test it rigorously with my 002 hardware and hope for a solution soon. Any input would be appreciated. I will also test and see if this is the case with other 3rd party software or if it's just Reason specific.
That's okay - easy enough to miss a preferences setting.
You still haven't told us what third party devices aren't working with PT. And exactly how they aren't working.
Need more input.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the quick response, It's actually 3rd party software and that is Propellerhead's Record that will not work with core audio.

What happens is when I launch Record, it tries to see the 002 Hardware then it just X's out and say's cannot find the hardware.

I've tried Pro Tools Pref and Database Trashing, and even removing the Core audio file from PT and reinstalling. Since not everyone is experiencing this with 8.0.3cs1 maybe it's Record specific, I'm going to test it now with some stand alone NI stuff.

Thanks !

M
Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Don't bother with settings.
As I've said, it's a known issue, particularly using Reason in stand-alone mode (works with ReWire). Check out the thread in the Snow Leopard pre-release thread. I believe it's an issue with HD systems too, but I may have hallucinated that post. It's got to do with 8.0.3 or whatever the latest version is, for sure, but the only solution right now is to roll back your version. Digi knows of it, God knows when the solution will arrive.