Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 PM

Default Re: I want to buy a MIDI keyboard controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Anybody here tried this one?
I had the SL73 note version. The action was very nice but… I found it almost impossible to get full velocity out of it. No amount of fiddling with velocity scaling/sensitivity made a difference.

The joystick controllers are also an acquired taste. I absolutely hated them.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I need an upgrade. Suggestions for 88 key weighted hammer controller? Convincing feel for acoustic pianists? For my purposes, I don't need any on-board sounds (but if it comes with sounds that's ok too I suppose). Perhaps Kurzweil KM88 or M-Audio Hammer 88 or other? Thanks for recommendations!
Get the Kawaii VPC1 . Yes, it costs close to 2 grand. Yes, it is worth every penny. I've had mine for over 5 years and I still love it. It is the closest thing I am aware of to the feel of a real piano and my clients seem to love it and I rarely hear any complaints. My favorite is using it with Alicia Keys.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-08-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not going to say what to buy but will mention a couple of companies to NOT buy from: Arturia and M-Audio. The quality & longevity just aren't there. Personal experience on both.
+1 I purchased a Keylab 61 and I have forced myself to make it last. I hate this keyboard so much. The keys feel cheap and I have had to repair keys multiple times, the pads are horrible no matter how you try to adjust them. Finally a key won't sound on the keyboard any more and I am finally giving it my way out to a better keyboard.

I have wanted to get a Komplete 49 mk2 since I use so much of Komplete, but I have this feeling that they should be releasing an mk3 version any day now and I don't want to purchase the day before they release the new version.

I have an Akai MPK mini and I absolutely LOVE the feel of the pads on that thing. So I have been leaning to possibly going with an Akai and giving that a go.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-09-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Get the Kawaii VPC1 . Yes, it costs close to 2 grand...
Cool but more than I was hoping to spend. No pitch/mod wheels, right? I need pitch/mod.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-09-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Cool but more than I was hoping to spend. No pitch/mod wheels, right? I need pitch/mod.
Most of us need those. On that note take note of where those are placed - a lot of 88 key 'boards place them above the keys instead of just to the left of the keys as is normal. Think about if you really want to reach over the keyboard for what one uses pitch bend/mod wheels - it ain't comfortable for any length of time. Been there/suffered that as it screwed up my carpal tunnel.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2021, 07:21 PM

Finally closing in on this: Kurzweil KM88 vs M-Audio Hammer 88? They look very similar except I like the M-Audio's pitch/mod wheels vs the Kurz joystick. Thoughts?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-04-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Finally closing in on this: Kurzweil KM88 vs M-Audio Hammer 88? They look very similar except I like the M-Audio's pitch/mod wheels vs the Kurz joystick. Thoughts?
Well you have a preference. Go with your intuition.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:45 AM

Quote:
If you want what may well be the best weighted piano-type action go for the Kurzweil. I think they use a Fatar keybed. If you can get hands-on before buying or make sure wherever you buy from has a good exchange policy. Not all weighted actions feel the same nor play the same. BTW if you're thinking about going with Sweetwater they are out of the Kurzweil.

I've played a LOT of different piano-action keyboards and there were only two that didn't give me double notes (and I'm a trained piano player). One was any Kurzweil and the other was an 88 key Yamaha synth.

QAPLA!
Old 12-05-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you want what may well be the best weighted piano-type action go for the Kurzweil. I think they use a Fatar keybed. If you can get hands-on before buying or make sure wherever you buy from has a good exchange policy. Not all weighted actions feel the same nor play the same. BTW if you're thinking about going with Sweetwater they are out of the Kurzweil.

I've played a LOT of different piano-action keyboards and there were only two that didn't give me double notes (and I'm a trained piano player). One was any Kurzweil and the other was an 88 key Yamaha synth.
Have you tried (Clavia) Nord Piano 4 which is 88key hammer action stage piano, not just a controller. Many people here swear by it. But it aint cheap...
Old 12-05-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Have you tried (Clavia) Nord Piano 4 which is 88key hammer action stage piano, not just a controller. Many people here swear by it. But it aint cheap...
I have and did not get on with it (like every other Nord 'board I've played). The key action was passible - not spectacular though. I didn't like the feel of the buttons/controls. And that red - I know it's Nord's trademark color but it's yet one more reason I don't like it.

Sorry but I have an allergy to Nord 'boards that I don't want to clog up the thread with.

QAPLA!