Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-24-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Upgraded To Windows 10 - Now Vocal Tracks Play At Wrong Speed

I just updated my OS to Windows 10 from 7 Home Professional. Everything is great except for ONE thing: my vocal tracks are now playing at the wrong speed (faster than they should). This was never an issue at all before, but now it is suddenly an issue after updating to Windows 10. Any session I open to work on - where there are vocal tracks - they are now playing at the wrong speed. These same exact sessions played perfectly (vocals in time) before updating to Windows 10. Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Upgraded To Windows 10 - Now Vocal Tracks Play At Wrong Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfinch View Post
... playing at the wrong speed ...
Latest audio interface drivers. All AVID optimizations. Check old/new session sample rates. Windows system sound NOT using the audio interface (which is probably one of the listed standard AVID optimizations).
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 10-24-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Latest audio interface drivers. All AVID optimizations. Check old/new session sample rates. Windows system sound NOT using the audio interface (which is probably one of the listed standard AVID optimizations).
EGS - Thank you so much for your reply. All audio interface drivers are up-to-date, all AVID optimizations in place. Session sample rates were not changed. I made no changes in Pro Tools itself. I simply updated to Windows 10, made sure all my drivers were updated, followed the AVID optimizations, disabled my Windows system sound - and THEN....when I finally opened up the last session I was working on in Pro Tools before updating to Windows 10 - I discovered that the vocal tracks are playing back at a different (faster) speed. Everything else in the session is perfect - just like before the Windows update - except the vocal tracks. Very strange.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:32 PM

It is very unlikely a Windows upgrade could change the sample rate in an audio file on one hand, and it's so easy to accidentally track something at the wrong speed/sample rate on the other. Almost all these type of things end up being a finger mistake, sometimes made easier to make by confusing sample rate settings in hardware interfaces/drivers especially when multiple interfaces are used.

Be sure to check the session sample rate is what you expect it is, don't just assume it has not changed. And then for those files playing back at the wrong speed guess/work out what sample rate the actual files are. Try converting them to what you need (File>Import the audio files into Pro Tools again with sample rate conversion).