Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Pro Tools and a web cast

I've never done anything with video with Pro Tools so I need some help. I want to web cast a recording session of a band I work with. The site that will be streaming the event cannot handle 30 frames per second video. So, I was figuring on setting the web cam to do about 1 frame per second. How do I marry the video and the audio? Can I do this all in Pro Tools and send the site that's doing the streaming one file per song that has both the aduio and video? What kind of file will I be creating? Maybe I'm so far from understanding what I need to do that someone can point me to a primer on doing this kind of thing.

Thanks

Greg Frey
Old 07-04-2003, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and a web cast

Greg, if I'm understanding you correctly I would record the picture at the highest quality you can and then sync it to your tracks in PTs. Then you can mix, edit and finally "bounce to movie" after you are finished.

You should end up with a largish movie of the same codec you started with and a 44.16 audiotrack or whatever format your session is.

Pick your codec of choice and do your compression and any cropping, resizing, framerate adjustments, etc., afterwards in QTPro or if you have them available - Cleaner or MediaCleaner.

Good compression at web datarates is an art. A really good book is "QuickTime for the Web" by Steve Gulie, I just saw used copies on Amazon today for $8.

You can always embed multiple movies of varying quality in a reference movie so that the viewer will recieve the one they have their QT connection preferences set to.

HTH, Jim