Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM

Default 12.7 Upgrade Broke Avid Space Plug

Upon upgrading from 12.6.1 to 12.7 on Mac OS X 10.11.6, Avid Space version 12.1 plug in no longer sees my ilok license for it. If anyone else runs into this issue, a workaround I found was reverting to the version 12.0 of the Space plug. Seems to fix it.
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Re: 12.7 Upgrade Broke Avid Space Plug

If you have a dedicated Space license then you need to use Space 12.0. If you have a Pro Tools Plan or Pro Tools HD Plan license then you need to install Space 12.1.

This might be more of a Space issue than a PT 12.7 issue. I ran the PT 12.7 installer (with PT 12.6.1 and Space 12.0 installed) and it did not upgrade Space. Did you download and install from my.avid.com or using Application Manager?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
If you have a dedicated Space license then you need to use Space 12.0. If you have a Pro Tools Plan or Pro Tools HD Plan license then you need to install Space 12.1.

This might be more of a Space issue than a PT 12.7 issue. I ran the PT 12.7 installer (with PT 12.6.1 and Space 12.0 installed) and it did not upgrade Space. Did you download and install from my.avid.com or using Application Manager?

Oh good lord, really? I have a permanent Space license on one iLok, and for convenience I have the rental license on my main PT iLok. Which should I attempt to install I wonder?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-22-2016, 06:56 AM

Jeffro - I have a license marked "Avid TLL Products - Space (AAX/RTAS)" on my ilok. When I was on 12.6.1 I had the latest version of the Space plug in (12.1) installed (as updated by application manager) and it worked just fine. As soon as I updated to 12.7, the license wasn't seen on my ilok. I re-downloaded and re-installed the 12.0 version of the plug in and the problem went away. I don't know. As a side note, I have a perpetual HD license with a current support plan.
Avid Control App 2023.11
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O + Omni
Avid S1 x 2
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Oh good lord, really? I have a permanent Space license on one iLok, and for convenience I have the rental license on my main PT iLok. Which should I attempt to install I wonder?
Your Space (AAX/RTAS/TDM) and Space (AAX/RTAS) licenses authorize Space 12.0.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defekt View Post
Jeffro - I have a license marked "Avid TLL Products - Space (AAX/RTAS)" on my ilok. When I was on 12.6.1 I had the latest version of the Space plug in (12.1) installed (as updated by application manager) and it worked just fine. As soon as I updated to 12.7, the license wasn't seen on my ilok. I re-downloaded and re-installed the 12.0 version of the plug in and the problem went away. I don't know. As a side note, I have a perpetual HD license with a current support plan.
If you had Space 12.1 working then you must have had the Pro Tools HD Plan license activated, since that's what authorizes Space 12.1. The Space (AAX/RTAS) license only authorizes Space up through 12.0.
I couldn't find your iLok account based on your community name/email, so... do you (or did you) have a Pro Tools HD Plan license activated to your iLok?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Your Space (AAX/RTAS/TDM) and Space (AAX/RTAS) licenses authorize Space 12.0.
So essentially the two are totally incompatible? 12.0 and earlier = permanent license; 12.1 and after = rental license?

Quite remarkable. Just when you thought Avid couldn't think of another way to antagonise customers. I mean, hats off that's some pretty inventive thinking right there.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-22-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
So essentially the two are totally incompatible? 12.0 and earlier = permanent license; 12.1 and after = rental license?
The way it exists today - yes.
Quote:
Quite remarkable. Just when you thought Avid couldn't think of another way to antagonise customers. I mean, hats off that's some pretty inventive thinking right there.
The intent wasn't to antagonize customers, so sorry that this is causing frustration.

Space was part of the TL Labs acquisition, so the license used TL Labs as its Publisher (all licenses have a specific Publisher, compare Space in iLok License Manager to Pro Tools which uses Avid). When we added the bonus plug-ins (in the 12.2 release) we needed to authorize all the plug-ins with a single license. Since a single license can only have 1 Publisher that meant re-wrapping Space to use Avid. That's how we wound up with Space 12.1. In hindsight, perhaps 12.0.1 or 12.0b might have been a better identifier? Maybe we should have done a license upgrade back when we acquired it, though that could have been even more disruptive.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM

I'm sure you folks can figure out a way to keep existing owners using the up to date version of the plugin one way or another. For example, how about a surrender to a new license package which includes both old and new licenses to retain compatibility?

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 PM

I got my year plan last January (soon coming up for renewal) and the Space plug worked for about 2 weeks. I filed a support claim, they gave me a temporary license which worked for a month or two and it hasn't worked since. They said they would update my license from the temporary one, but I guess if you don't complain frequently they kind of forget about you.

I have other reverbs that I use more and, tho I sorta liked Space, I'm now not too sure if I need to pay the extra plugin fee should I continue my upgrade plan. I haven't significantly used any of the other Avid plugins over the year.