Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM

Default new assistant\'s first BIG mistake

Instead of highlighting "select unused" he accidentally Highlighted "Selected All" and proceeded to delete a whole song.
There was no recording done on the disc after this mistake.
I know the files are still there, and if found can be relinked by their unique IDs. As I've never dealt with this before. What is the best procedure? Can I do it without a program like disc warrior?
Even if I have disc Warrior, how would I go about recovering the files by 6:00PM tomorrow?
The disc is a SanMP volume and I'm leaving run until I get this song back.
Would there be any particular problems any one knows about using a recovery program on a SanMP volume?
I guess I'll be backing up the rest of this disc!
Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: new assistant\'s first BIG mistake

Do you have the "autosave" feature enabled, if so you can go into the recovered session folder and open the 1 before the deleted regions mistake.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM

I tried that but the regions were deleted from the disk and the workspace browser launches the task window to relink but they're not there.
thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 06:20 PM

I think you have lost your song with no hope for recovery. All DiskWarrior is going to do is check your disk's directory. It is not going to recover your files. You could try TechTool Pro. There is also some utility that I've seen mentioned on occasion, but I do not remember its name. Search for recovery utilities at versiontracker.com and it may show up. I wish I remembered more, but there was some program that was great at recovering things, and that was all it did.

The way Pro Tools writes data to a disk made it impossible in OS 9 to do a recovery when the files were deleted from within Pro Tools. This is why I don't think you'll be sucessful in your efforts.

If you are though, please tell us what program you used!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM

I Have used Norton's Unerase to recover files that have deleted via the trashcan.

What the App did was search a selected drive to find files that have been marked as overwritable. Then it gave the probabillity of recovery.

As long as you didn't write any more information to the drive you want to recover from. I think Unerase can get them back. If you kept working fon that drive (writing more data to it) you might have overwitten the files.

Now the files I recovered were not deleted from within a program (i.e. Protools) Mine were deleted from the Mac OS. I am not sure if it makes a difference.

Good luck
Old 04-19-2005, 06:38 PM

That is a mistake that never should be made. Fire that guy. Your song is gone.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:19 PM

If you ran Pro Tools with the drive mounted.. the DDB files could also have written over your files. If you want to have a chance to recover the files.. I hope you immediately unmounted the drive and haven't mounted it again until you're ready to try a recovery utlity.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 AM

What I have done in the past is to first make a clone of the disk that has the erased files and then try various techniques to recover the erased data from the clone. This means that if your first attempt does not work you can reclone the disk and try another way.
There are various ways of making a clone, which has to be done by 'blind copying' block by block. For example if you still have a Mac with OS9 you can do a block copy using Hard Disk Toolkit (which is what I use) but there are other utilities.
If the drive is a Firewire drive you will need to remove the actual drive from the Firewire enclosure and install it as an internal drive on the OS9 Mac that you will be using to make the blind copy.
This is extremely time consuming and tedious, but it does give you the safety net of being able to try fixes using different recovery techniques and if all else fails you can send the original disk off to a data recovery service without having modified it in any way.
Norton Unerase usually will recover the erased files.
Good luck