Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM

Default ProTools First 12.1 and 3rd party plugins

Hi there,

I just installed ProTools First and I am aware that you can not use 3rd party plugins which are installed on your system.

I have installed some 3rd party plugins like Native Instruments Komplete. When starting ProTools First it scans my system for plugins in (i guess) aax format.

Is it possible to disable that scanning process because it just take some time to scan those plugins but if you can not use them in PTF why are they scanned then?

Friendly regards
Michael
Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 AM

Default Re: ProTools First 12.1 and 3rd party plugins

Pro Tools First still needs to scan for its own plugins and those signed as having been downloaded from the store. The only way to speed this up is to move all plugins that won't work with First into the unused plugins folder.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Hi all,

I've have a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol 61 keyboard and the basic Komplete Select plug-ins, which were downloaded as aax. I can't see any Native Instruments plug-ins when trying to bring up Instruments in Pro Tools First. Oddly enough, I do see them in Avid Media Composer. Does Native Instruments not work with Pro Tools First? Does it work in the subscription version of Pro Tools 12? Thank you in advance for any help.

Dana Wilson

MacBook Pro (Retina), Version 10.11.4 (El Capitan), no audio interface (is that an issue?), Pro Tools First 12.3.1

Last edited by Dana W; 07-09-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: forgot tech specs and signature?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Pro Tools | First does not support plugins in the same way as full Pro Tools, Media Composer, ect...

Pro Tools | First only supports plugins purchased through the Marketplace.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...s-First-FAQ#16

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-10-2019, 03:37 PM

Default ProTools First 2018.7 and 3rd party plugins

Hi there.

I understand the fact that 3rd party plugins won't work with pro tools first. But does the scanning in the loading window get affected because of pro tools first? It says my 3rd party plugins aren't valid aax plugins.

So the main question is, if I buy the full pro tools, will my 3rd party plugins be valid??

I will appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Re: ProTools First 2018.7 and 3rd party plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenel0607 View Post
Hi there.

I understand the fact that 3rd party plugins won't work with pro tools first. But does the scanning in the loading window get affected because of pro tools first? It says my 3rd party plugins aren't valid aax plugins.

So the main question is, if I buy the full pro tools, will my 3rd party plugins be valid??

I will appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Yes. If you buy full Pro Tools, all AAX plugins you installed will work (as long as you have valid licenses for them they will work). First ignoring them/telling you they are not valid plugins *is* confusing and the message given is very badly designed. The UI should be making clear they just won't work in First).

--

If you have plugins installed that you use with other DAWS and they also got installed in AAX format but you can't use them with Pro Tools First, and have no other need for them the unneeded .aaxplugin files from the Plug-Ins Folder , or (more safely) move them to the Plug-Ins (Unused) folder.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:12 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

Just to be clear, the message "not valid aax plugin" in the LOADING SCREEN will dissapear as soon as I buy pro tools? Aren't there any other problems I should be aware of?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Should not be, just buy (or trial Pro Tools (Ultimate) or rent for one month) real Pro Tools.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 PM

I already did that and my trial is expired now. But when I tried PT ultimate, it still gave me the error with my aax plugins.

That is why I want to make sure of the error before I buy it??
Old 04-11-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenel0607 View Post
I already did that and my trial is expired now. But when I tried PT ultimate, it still gave me the error with my aax plugins.

That is why I want to make sure of the error before I buy it??
Well that's all new information. You posted onto the end of someday elses thread here about Pro Tools First. So it's confusing, are you using Pro Tools First? Pro Tools Ultimate? Both of them? Or what? With what exact third party plugins that have problems? How are those plugins licensed?

I'm not sure why you are working it from this angle. Do you own licenses for these plugins? Does the plugins vendor claim to support AAX-64? Do you have the latest AAX-64 versions of the plugins installed? If they are licensed via iLok, what exactly does ILM show is on your iLok? What generation iLok do you have? Do you have the correct versions of license for the plugins installed? How did you purchase the plugins?

If you have the right licenses then you should be able to sort out any problems getting stuff working. It may take renstalling ILM (if the plugins are licensed via iLok), Pro Tools and/or the plugins etc. You may need to contact the plugin vendor if that does not works. if you had a Pro Tools Ultimate trial active that would have been the time to do that troubleshooting, and ask here for help/suggestions.