Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-09-2022, 02:03 PM

Default New Computer, New Stereo Receiver

Hello,
I have PT 2018.4 on a new Windows 10 computer with 32 gig ram and a new Onkyo receiver. I have a ICON Qcon PRO X DAW and an Mbox III...

I have a USB connection direct from the computer to the Mbox, and two monitors out from the back of the MBox.. Sounds great. No problems...

My question has to do with my new Onkyo Stereo Receiver. The way I have this set up, ProTools is basically ignoring the Stereo Receiver.. I used to be able to switch between listening to a session through the monitors, or through the other two sets of speakers I have connected to the Onkyo stereo receiver by switching between different outputs on the receiver. I'm not sure what I've done wrong now with my setup making that access unavailable.

If the receiver had USB connections, I could see going direct from the computer, out to the receiver, and then from receiver, out to the Mbox somehow, in order to use the monitors and connect my instruments to record or just listen through the receiver and the other speakers..

As it is now, I can listen to youtube videos through a computer link, the headphone jack, to a receiver connection & the speakers just fine, but not pro tools..

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thank you so much.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:17 PM

Default Re: New Computer, New Stereo Receiver

This is a duplicate of what you've posted before https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418487

I asked you questions there and you did not answer.

Please follow the DUC community guide and don't post your same stuff in multiple threads. Hopefully a mod can merge these threads.

And you provide a little extra info here, expect not the most critical part. You are asking about problems using a receiver but you still don't bother to explain what *exact* model receiver you have. "Onkyo" does not help, what exact model is it? And how *exactly* is it connected to your PC? It's got to be connected some way.

And did your past receiver use a HDMI or USB and S/PDIF on TOSLINK or coax connection to your computer? What exactly?

ICON Qcon PRO X is a control surface not a DAW. But not relevant here... what is relevant is stuff you are not even describing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:59 PM

A home stereo receiver is not a great option for monitoring any DAW. 99% of interfaces are built to output a +4 balanced signal and most receivers are designed for a -10 unbalanced input. Put the receiver in your home theater setup and use powered studio monitors for your recording setup

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-09-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
A home stereo receiver is not a great option for monitoring any DAW. 99% of interfaces are built to output a +4 balanced signal and most receivers are designed for a -10 unbalanced input. Put the receiver in your home theater setup and use powered studio monitors for your recording setup
I'm guessing the OP wants to listen to finished mixes on his home stereo, which is a very valid thing to want to do. He has monitors on his Mbox 3 already. That's mentioned here and over on the other thread.

If this was me, I'd get a preamp/receiver with S/PDIF in and simply route S/PDIF out from the Mbox to that receiver. Maybe going through a coax to TOSLINK adapter if needed. But with little useful info here who knows... (I always liked that Avid had S/PDIF in and out on the low-cost Mbox 3).

And if the stereo receiver has HDMI in (like some Onkyo do) then maybe that could be used as a HDMI interface via ASIO4ALL. Yes not usually recommended but might already be cabled up and worth trying, especially if cables need to be pulled any distance for this.

Both of those (digital connection) scenarios make the consumer/pro line level issue moot.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:01 AM

Oops! I forgot about SPDIF and that would be a good option. Just remember that home stereo speakers are rarely what we would call "accurate". What may sound great on your speakers might be terrible on someone else's, on earbuds or in the car(2 other valuable references)

Now to get audio from other sources into Pro Tools, if you have a SPDIF output on the computer, feed that to the SPDIF input of the Mbox.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave