Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Re: going from 64bit to 32bit

sterndrup,

If I were you, I would take the PC back and get one that is definitely qualified to run Pro Tools. Why, because you can probably use a Digi qualified PC to run any DAW you want even if its not Pro Tools. The forums of all of the major DAW suppliers are full of post by people who can't get their DAW to run on the computer or OS they are using or their plug-ins won't work, or etc..... And if you are thinking you are home free with a MAC, just take some time to read the forums here and for Logic and for other DAWs. It ain't like it used to be with a MAC (ever wondered why there have been so many OS X releases is the last few years?). Both PC's and MAC's can be very good computers. What software and how you run it makes a difference on both.

Vista has been a significant problem for most DAW suppliers but it looks like they are starting to get thier hands around the 32 bit versions. The 64 bit versions are still problematic for all DAWs.

Digi does support Vista 32 bit Home and Ultimate. So if you want Vista, get one of those. And your comment about XP being "over" is just wrong. Don't you think that we would have all jumped at Vista if it really delivered the goods? The original release of Vista was a disaster for everything but word processing and spreadsheets. A lot of improvements have been made to SP1 but there is still a large shortfall of working, stable drivers for it. We know XP is mature, but it is stable and a lot of people need stablility to make their living.

I know you are frustrated. I've seen hundreds of posts just like yours over the years (bought the wrong computer, been lied to by GC, mad at Digi, etc.). But, I've also seen this forum get hundreds of PT users straightened out and back to making music by offering sound advice.

The key here is to relax, and listen, and then do the things that are recommended. Don't make assumptions about what people think and definitely don't make assumptions about their intelligence.

Good Luck,

Greg
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM

I just want to make this clear as someone said PTLE is overkill...... it's not. Understand THESE ISSUES ARE NOT LIMITED TO PRO TOOLS LE. This has to do with ALL audio software in the Windows environment. XP64 was never that well supported, Vista still has issues.....it's getting better, but still just not there. Windows XP 32-bit works JUST fine.

And I agree, you got bad advice in the first place. Getting a good computer doesn't have anything to do with being a hobbyist or being a professional, it's about GETTING SOMETHING THAT WORKS---period.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM

I would also add this: You said "XP is dead." Absolutely not true. Vista is basically dead. It was a failure. Microsoft won't even refer to it by name. It's the worst red-headed stepchild of an OS since "ME."
XP and XP Pro are selling more OEM copies than ever before, and the new Windows OS will essentially BE XP, with a few tweaks.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Avid

Believe me - we TRY to make sure retailers are aware of compatibility requirements, but the turnover at certain retailers, plus some of their lack of audio education, makes it an extremely difficult, if not impossible, situation.

We put compatibility information on the box that states that you should check the website for current information about compatibility. We provide training and information to retailers, but it's up to them to take advantage of it and use it properly.

We don't like hearing about these kinds of situations any more than you do - the other problem with this is that, even at the 'hobby' end of audio, you're still getting something that's pretty powerful and has relatively stiff requirements for compatibility. Even some of the free applications these days are more horsepower than a major studio would have even 10 years ago.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Believe me - we TRY to make sure retailers are aware of compatibility requirements, but the turnover at certain retailers, plus some of their lack of audio education, makes it an extremely difficult, if not impossible, situation.

We put compatibility information on the box that states that you should check the website for current information about compatibility. We provide training and information to retailers, but it's up to them to take advantage of it and use it properly.

We don't like hearing about these kinds of situations any more than you do - the other problem with this is that, even at the 'hobby' end of audio, you're still getting something that's pretty powerful and has relatively stiff requirements for compatibility. Even some of the free applications these days are more horsepower than a major studio would have even 10 years ago.
thanks again for all the replies, very useful information. it sounds like I should have trusted my first instinct and purchased a "pc audio labs computer" with protools installed.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Do you want to take the computer back just because it isn't "supported" by digi? If so, I would recommend that you at least install protools on your 64 bit version of Vista first (it doesn't take that long) ,and see if it works. I have been using Vista 64 bit home prem. since it came out with no issues.

cheers.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM

actually, i did install it and it does work. I've recorded and done some playback. very minimal. one track with some processing.

i've just done the reading on the requirements and got paranoid that i'll be heading for problems.

i don't know anymore...

i talked with hp and discovered that xp is not compatible with the hardware on my laptop. So, there goes that idea. I'm just going to get a 32 bit version of vista premium and deal with it.

the one feature of xp that i thought would be useful was the ability to be able to have two separate boot up configurations. I use this laptop for school and home use so, if i do the required optimizations that digi recommends I'll have to undo and redo everytime I switch between running protools and everything else.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 AM

What i don't understand is why Digidesign doesn't simply release a 64-bit version of Pro Tools..?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:54 AM

Sterndrup,

Using a computer for home/office AS well as for audio is most certainly asking for problems. The computer you have is perfectly fine for your home and office stuff, but for audio---it just isn't. Computer audio isn't about just getting a computer and installing software/hardware, it is SO much more than that. I'm buying a laptop today for my wife for Christmas, nearly anything is going to work for her---but were I looking for a laptop for audio, that simply wouldn't be the case. You know that saying "you get what you pay for"? Well in the world of digital audio that couldn't be more true. Again what I tell my clients is..... "it's not about being professional or a hobbyist, it's about just working". In a perfect world, all computers would work perfectly fine---but that just isn't the case and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. While you may have gotten it installed and working, I can assure you that the performance that your software is capable of delivering won't come close to what that computer will allow. This is why it's a "magic 8-ball" because if it works then it's easy to think "hey, it works!!". But those of us that know better, know better. I have a saying "you don't know what you don't know".

OPERATING SYSTEMS....... EJ has stated WindowsXP is NOT dead. In fact, Microsoft tried to discontinue it but the consumer wouldn't let it happen. Their marketing now is to convince us why Vista is so good, but not everyone is buying it--literally. Also as stated, WindowsME was a nightmare OS. This same thing took place back on Windows98 where Microsoft tried to tell us to go to Win2K or WinME, but we know Win98SE was the ideal OS. Of course back then, computer audio wasn't as prevelent as it is now. WindowsXP 32-bit is a very stable OS for audio, believe it or not---but it comes down to your computer. HOW WELL IS YOUR COMPUTER DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE POWER NEEDED FOR DIGITAL AUDIO? My main studio computer is my Creation Station Rack HD and carries a price-tag of $2995. While this computer is designed and built by where I'm employed, I'd NOT be using it if it didn't perform to my needs. I am a DEMANDING user, I push gear hard--- I might sell gear, but man I'm using this stuff a lot too. I have (3) of these systems, two of which are running ProToolsHD---one of which is used to produce live on-air broadcast. If it doesn't work, I'm off the air. It's also interesting to hear the remarks that "you're running ProTools HD on a PC????". But to me, that's not surprising---look at all of the AVID video guys, they are PC based. And these guys are often using HP Server computers that are at or significantly more money than my computer. Think about it.... HP makes a computer well over $3k and one that is well under $1k. Do you think there are differences? You betcha!

Back to the opearting systems........ You have Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, but in Vista there are what--(6) versions?? Supporting Vista is one thing, but WORKING PROPERLY on Vista is another. This is not un-common with operating systems, it often takes time to get everything working together. And this is the key....EVERYTHING WORKING TOGETHER. Also understand that laptops are not ideal to be your complete DAW system, they certainly are great options---but laptops are designed first and foremost for convenience, not performance. While I am absolutely a Windows guy, I'll be the first to say if you have to have a laptop for digital audio--you might want to consider a Mac. If you don't need a laptop and could use a tower machine, either buy one that was designed for audio---or if you are comfortable enough building your own, do that as well.

Digitechsupport is right here..... there are some dealers that know the products and some that don't. There are also a few that really know what they are talking about as they are audio engineers themselves, such as myself. So you have to be careful about whom you get your advice from no matter what you are buying...... I remember buying my first Xbox360 from Best Buy and was told I needed a memory card for each controller, but I didn't at all. I didn't know or understand so I just bought it. Now, it was a $40 option so big deal, but that is a gaming system---not an expensive hobby or even a profession. I take that back, gaming IS an expensive hobby for me!! LOL

There are a lot of guys here with a great deal of experience, some more than others.....but nearly all are here to help and offer THEIR experience for others to drawn upon. Use this resource, it's free :)
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Sterndrup,

Using a computer for home/office AS well as for audio is most certainly asking for problems. The computer you have is perfectly fine for your home and office stuff, but for audio---it just isn't. Computer audio isn't about just getting a computer and installing software/hardware, it is SO much more than that. I'm buying a laptop today for my wife for Christmas, nearly anything is going to work for her---but were I looking for a laptop for audio, that simply wouldn't be the case. You know that saying "you get what you pay for"? Well in the world of digital audio that couldn't be more true. Again what I tell my clients is..... "it's not about being professional or a hobbyist, it's about just working". In a perfect world, all computers would work perfectly fine---but that just isn't the case and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. While you may have gotten it installed and working, I can assure you that the performance that your software is capable of delivering won't come close to what that computer will allow. This is why it's a "magic 8-ball" because if it works then it's easy to think "hey, it works!!". But those of us that know better, know better. I have a saying "you don't know what you don't know".

OPERATING SYSTEMS....... EJ has stated WindowsXP is NOT dead. In fact, Microsoft tried to discontinue it but the consumer wouldn't let it happen. Their marketing now is to convince us why Vista is so good, but not everyone is buying it--literally. Also as stated, WindowsME was a nightmare OS. This same thing took place back on Windows98 where Microsoft tried to tell us to go to Win2K or WinME, but we know Win98SE was the ideal OS. Of course back then, computer audio wasn't as prevelent as it is now. WindowsXP 32-bit is a very stable OS for audio, believe it or not---but it comes down to your computer. HOW WELL IS YOUR COMPUTER DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE POWER NEEDED FOR DIGITAL AUDIO? My main studio computer is my Creation Station Rack HD and carries a price-tag of $2995. While this computer is designed and built by where I'm employed, I'd NOT be using it if it didn't perform to my needs. I am a DEMANDING user, I push gear hard--- I might sell gear, but man I'm using this stuff a lot too. I have (3) of these systems, two of which are running ProToolsHD---one of which is used to produce live on-air broadcast. If it doesn't work, I'm off the air. It's also interesting to hear the remarks that "you're running ProTools HD on a PC????". But to me, that's not surprising---look at all of the AVID video guys, they are PC based. And these guys are often using HP Server computers that are at or significantly more money than my computer. Think about it.... HP makes a computer well over $3k and one that is well under $1k. Do you think there are differences? You betcha!

Back to the opearting systems........ You have Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit, but in Vista there are what--(6) versions?? Supporting Vista is one thing, but WORKING PROPERLY on Vista is another. This is not un-common with operating systems, it often takes time to get everything working together. And this is the key....EVERYTHING WORKING TOGETHER. Also understand that laptops are not ideal to be your complete DAW system, they certainly are great options---but laptops are designed first and foremost for convenience, not performance. While I am absolutely a Windows guy, I'll be the first to say if you have to have a laptop for digital audio--you might want to consider a Mac. If you don't need a laptop and could use a tower machine, either buy one that was designed for audio---or if you are comfortable enough building your own, do that as well.

Digitechsupport is right here..... there are some dealers that know the products and some that don't. There are also a few that really know what they are talking about as they are audio engineers themselves, such as myself. So you have to be careful about whom you get your advice from no matter what you are buying...... I remember buying my first Xbox360 from Best Buy and was told I needed a memory card for each controller, but I didn't at all. I didn't know or understand so I just bought it. Now, it was a $40 option so big deal, but that is a gaming system---not an expensive hobby or even a profession. I take that back, gaming IS an expensive hobby for me!! LOL

There are a lot of guys here with a great deal of experience, some more than others.....but nearly all are here to help and offer THEIR experience for others to drawn upon. Use this resource, it's free :)
thanks...i'm learning a ton here. All the advice is appreciated and well recieved.

if anyone is in the prepurchase phase take this advice and think hard. Like BradLyons said it is about work flow and productivity. You don't want to spend all your time troubleshooting because of a purchase mistake.