Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 PM

Default going from 64bit to 32bit

i just bought a computer at circuit city on saturday. It is an hp laptop with vista home premium 64 bit.

when i talked to the dudes at guitar center they said there were no known issues with running ptle on a 64bit system. I trusted them and purchased even though i had read that digidesign doesn't support 64bit. i told them this and they said that just means it hasn't been tested.

regardless, its my fault. I want to switch my current OS to a 32 bit vista Ultimate.

Is this possible? Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody had to do this?

thanks...Seth
Old 12-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Re: going from 64bit to 32bit

You would need to purchase a 32 Bit copy of Vista if youre machine didnt ship with it and format over what's already on your hard drive, or install a second drive/partition and install Vista 32 bit OS there.. When is Guitar Center ever right? sigh.

But before you buy anything else I'd google the model of your PC followed by the word chipset, or download PCWizard, verify what chipset you have and see if Digi's site recommends it or if anyone on the DUC is using that model. Not all PCs work with PT LE, esp latest dual core core duo laptops.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterndrup View Post
i just bought a computer at circuit city on saturday. It is an hp laptop with vista home premium 64 bit.

when i talked to the dudes at guitar center they said there were no known issues with running ptle on a 64bit system. I trusted them and purchased even though i had read that digidesign doesn't support 64bit. i told them this and they said that just means it hasn't been tested.

regardless, its my fault. I want to switch my current OS to a 32 bit vista Ultimate.

Is this possible? Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody had to do this?

thanks...Seth
Take the computer back, it's not a good option for audio recording. Those kinds of computers are crammed with as much inexpensive stuff as can be done to offer the most things for the lowest price for a home computer. For audio, you're completely asking for problems. While PT does support Vista, I do NOT recommend Vista for ANY recording software.....I don't even recommend 64-bit Windows XP. The ONLY Windows OS that is truly supported and supported well is Windows XP 32-bit.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 AM

"The dudes at Guitar Center said there were no known issues running Pro Tools on 64 bit Vista."

Most the "dudes" working at Guitar Center are displaced McDonald's workers, and wouldn't know "known issues" from holes in the ground.
I recall asking a "dude" at a Detroit suberb Guitar Center where the TRS cables were. He said "We don't stock TRS. We have Hosa and Monster cables." He was the Pro Audio manager.
That's a true story.
I don't even go to Guitar Center for picks. I dial 1-800-222-4700 ext. 1318, my stuff comes the next day, and I get free candy out of the deal.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM

God, I'm just a hobbyist. why does this have to be so complicated. i should have read all of digi's requirements before hand. this is way too much for me.

and going back to xp is stupid. if digi wants to stay in the pc game they better get with vista. xp is over.

i'm not taking the computer back. i'm considering taking protools back!

or maybe i should take the computer back get a mac and use logic. something that actually works.

oh that's right, school requires a pc. looks like i'm screwed!

sorry, I've been screwing around playing IT guy for the last several days.

does anyone have any reasonably simple solutions?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 AM

If you're just a hobbyist, then, yeah, PT LE is overkill. Get something like Sonar LE, or Adobe Audition.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 AM

in addition...i should have followed the rule regarding the 64bit system. This was my fault entirely. But the compatability requirements are much more complex than this.

Digidesign...If you are listening, you are not insisting that retailers market your product honestly. And you are responsible for this for the following reason:

Selling a sub $500 software/interface package is mainly inteaded for the begginner and hobbyist. Yet when the retailers are selling these things they include only minimal compatability information. Yet your web page details chip set requirements, hard drive requirements, disabling many of the systems functions for smooth operation. This is an extensive list and not consumer friendly.

This is the "musicians friend" pc requirements list:

PC requirements: Intel Pentium 4, Centrino, Core Duo, or AMD Athlon XP and 64-class processors and chips; Windows XP Home or Professional, Service Pack 2 (Vista not supported); 768MB RAM; Open USB port (USB hubs not supported); DVD-ROM drive

Well what about ptle not supporting a usb external hard drive? And digi boldly stating that an external hard drive is required for smooth operation. what if you don't have any other ports?

How bout all the other crap you guys list in the "help us help you" thread.

Get honest with your consumer base, get honest with yourself about how the consumer makes purchases. Some of us actually believe that we are being sold something that works. And that we don't have to extensively read the fine print to discover that our system must be entirely customized to use one application that is merely a hobby and for fun. Remember this is who is buying in this sub $500 market. Whether you take your self really seriously or not. You are a hobbyist and probably not making much money and probably none at all.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM

I understand your frustration..........but it all comes down to info you got from 'dudes at guitar center' that set you off on the wrong path.

Get a copy of 32bit vista or xp and install it. (You'll get rid of a lot of crap that comes on oem installs in the process)

Research has never been easier when looking at purchasing any hardware or software......hobbyist or not.

When I upgraded my whole DAW last year, I spent a week deciding which platform and a couple of weeks on this forum to put together a computer to run it on.
Not really that hard.....and I'm no professional, just a serious hobbyist.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Finally,

thanks to those of you who have responded. and I do apologize for whining in a solution orientated environment.

you are correct in saying that info is easy to get. i didn't do my homework and now i've got to fix it.

thanks again to all who have taken the time to offer some help and sorry for the ranting.

i do like pro tools as a set up so i'm going to take the time to fix the problems starting with installing a 32 bit OS.

can you tell i feel bad about my complaining?? ha ha

see ya...Seth
Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM

No sweat...it can get pretty frustrating weeding through the info when all you want is to lay down some tracks.

Just remember one thing.....this forum is , without a doubt, the best source of good info regarding protools and such.

Without some of the regulars here, I would have had a lot harder time getting up and running