Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-19-2002, 11:28 AM

Default Sony Plug-in bundle

I just got an email from Sony letting me know that the Sony dynamics plug-in is officially available for purchase. I went out to their site to look for the price and found this interesting statement:

Note: We've had some enquiries suggesting future bundling of multiple plugins from Oxford. As much as we'd like to be able to offer bundles from Oxford, we are sorry to say that we are prevented from doing so due to various commercial arrangements we have with worldwide dealerships. We can not offer bundles from Oxford in the foreseeable future.

The Sony Oxford Plug-Ins Team.

Big bummer. I am one of the folks that wrote to them expressing my wishes for a Sony EQ/Dynamics/Inflator plug-in bundle pack (hoping to save a bit of green). Does anyone know what a fair street price for the EQ and Dynamics plug-ins will run me in the real world? Any suggestions on who to order them through.

Thanks,
Mike

PS Why would any worldwide dealerships care about a bundle pack???
Old 12-19-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Sony Plug-in bundle

Sony plug-ins are ONLY available through SONY.

jh
Old 12-19-2002, 02:33 PM

I know that the Sony EQ is available from Parsons Audio and I believe Sweetwater.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:10 AM

Ouch! So much for the real world.

Are you sure? Because doesn’t that make the “various commercial arrangements we have with worldwide dealerships” sound like a bunch of crap?
Old 12-20-2002, 09:01 AM

Haze,

Sony Plugs are now offered through the dealer network. Since we took the software line on, we have not been able to keep them in stock. On a side note, anyone that is interested in getting the EQ, should not pass up on the GML option. It is an obvious difference.

Cheers
Old 12-20-2002, 10:46 AM

I agree that the Massenberg curves are a must.

Having said that, I also think that the Oxford eq is immensly overrated. After all the hype, I was incredibly dissapointed when i ran the demo. Where is that sweetness in the top end that everyone thinks they are hearing.

I spent some time with filterbank, carefully adjusting "Q," slope, dip, etc, and was able to match dead-on the sound of the Oxford/GML option, in various frequencies.

I had a few golden-eared engineer friends come in to do a blind tests, and no-one could hear the difference.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, sorry, them's the facts. Too bad, I was really HOPING to hear a difference, in fact I bought an HD7 system specifically to be able to handle lots of Oxford plugs. That makes my findings even more surprising, but there it is.

One thing in the Oxford's favor, though, is convenience. Having much less control over the eq shape than with Filterbank, it's much more idiot-proof, and there is some value in that.

And no, I don't work for McDsp.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:57 AM

Sorry, guys. I spoke to Jason Koons @ Sweetwater yesterday, and they do indeed carry them. What's kinda funny, is that awhile back i was speaking with the infamous NIKA, and we were discussing his thoughts on the upcoming Mass TDM EQ, and i definitely got the impression they were not selling the SONY stuff at the time. Side note, they don't seem to be discounting them, though.

haze
Old 12-20-2002, 11:33 AM

Too bad they won't discount them. I for one will stick with the McDSP until they do. I can't justify paying twice the price for the Sony stuff. Seems to me they should be in the price range of the McDSP.
I agree with Speer - I think the difference between McDSP and Sony is marginal if at all.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:58 PM

Yes, the GML option is worth it. Hopefully they will come out with the GML option for the compressor as well.

Having seen and heard the new GML EQ plug, it will be a must have for HD folks.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:17 PM

I just installed the Sony Dynamics demo. I'm very impressed. This is by far the most transparent compressor in ProTools. I think the Warmth section sound better than the inflator.

sm