Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 AM

Default Mbox 2 pro - multi client?

I have a Mbox original and am thinking of upgrading to an Mbox 2 Pro, but wondered if the new versions are multi client?

I use Logic, PT and Ableton on a Mac G5, but with the current Mbox, you cant use for example, PT open and seperatly Logic open, I also do this (without rewiring) with Pt open AND Abelton Live, with a 828mkII, but when I try and use the mbox it says "digi driver in use"

Do the newer mbox2 family allow you to have any programs open? so i could use this as a standard soundcard for Logic/Ableton?

Also I see that the mbox2pro has numerous inputs/outputs, can i connect an outboard compressor with
(2 outputs and 2 inputs back in) and use it as an external effect?

Thirdly, does the Pro version come with the DV toolkit?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 pro - multi client?

AFAIK, PT needs exclusive use of CoreAudio so it will not be available to other audio applications whilst PT is open. If PT is closed, the hardware can be accessed by other software including Logic or Ableton.

The Mbox2 Pro I/O can, indeed, be used to interface outboard. However, be aware that the return audio will be subject to a degree of latency which you will need to allow for.

The Mbox Pro does not come with DV Toolkit as standard. This is a paid add-on/option.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg