Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-29-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Getting the Most out of Powerbook 1ghz and Mbox

Theres no doubt that the mbox and the new 1 gig Pbook are a nice portable combo but I would love anyone to contribute to how to make this relationship as slick as possible. Ive started running mine without a firewire drive - so i only have the 60 gig unpartioned. I cant get a drive at this time so am I stuck. Should I partion? etc.

Also my powerbook has a gig of ram but at present I cant even playback two simple tracks without getting a USB audio overload type message. More complex tasks worked in the past - why now cant it handle so simple an operation. I've tried to change buffer size in the hardware setups but it just dont help.

Basically, are there tricks to get this thing slammin' best with and without a firewire drive?
Old 12-29-2002, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Getting the Most out of Powerbook 1ghz and Mbox

HEY DUDE YOU HAVE INSTALL THE FIRE WIRE EXTENSION THAT COMES WITH OS 9.2.2 AND DELETE THE OTHER ONE. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS ON THE DISK THAT COME WITH THE 911 APS BOX. YOU CANNOT USE THAT DISK. YOU HAVE TO USE THE 9.2.2 FIREWIRE EXTENSION. INITIALIZE YOUR SYSTEM DISK. REINSTALL THE OS 9.2.2 WITHOUT OS 10. REINSTALL PROTOOLS, AND IT SHOULD WORK PERFECT.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:28 AM

ProTools LE likes a very squeaky clean and optimized drive. You really owe it to yourself to get a separate FW drive that you can erase and reformat after every project. Partitioning might help some in that area.
As far as OSX being on the computer I have the 1 gig Ti and use both systems along with a FW drive and it hums along nicely. I am eagerly awaiting PT for OSX .

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 12-30-2002, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Henry Fish:
Theres no doubt that the mbox and the new 1 gig Pbook are a nice portable combo but I would love anyone to contribute to how to make this relationship as slick as possible. Ive started running mine without a firewire drive - so i only have the 60 gig unpartioned. I cant get a drive at this time so am I stuck. Should I partion? etc.

Also my powerbook has a gig of ram but at present I cant even playback two simple tracks without getting a USB audio overload type message. More complex tasks worked in the past - why now cant it handle so simple an operation. I've tried to change buffer size in the hardware setups but it just dont help.

Basically, are there tricks to get this thing slammin' best with and without a firewire drive?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sounds to me like the network thing - either connect to a network while using the Mbox OR disable apple ethernet if your not hooked up to one. You computer constantly polls the ethernet port looking for something that isn't there, and generates that blasted USB audio error message.

Do a search on this part of the forum to find out more.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:28 AM

Henry, Frank S also posted this which will help you

Thanks Frank S

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason