Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Why is there many HDX cards on Ebay? What's the catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
+1

AAX DSP plugs are sorely lacking, and the jury's still out on whether or not there's enough HDX rigs out there in the wild for developers to even bother. (HDX is selling poorly by all accounts, and the lack of 64bit and DSP plugs is a big factor.)
Yes, I've been saying this because people in the field are aware of who is buying new or just holding on to there HD system but Avid and Avid supporters on this site will deny......

Two things are making sales low ......waiting for new MacPro and AXXDSP
Old 09-24-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
+1

AAX DSP plugs are sorely lacking, and the jury's still out on whether or not there's enough HDX rigs out there in the wild for developers to even bother. (HDX is selling poorly by all accounts, and the lack of 64bit and DSP plugs is a big factor.)
If you have watched the pro tools expert interview with Tony for the s6, Tony states that there's over 7500 core card (then first one you buy with the converter) where shipped since it came out, with numbers still growing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoRE...ature=youtu.be at 15:55, and that number was for 2 months ago. So there is still a market for them to work on. Remember, it took 10 years for HD to get where it was, we'll see in 10 years to know if HDX did as well.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM

I doubt anyone with a interest in PCIe based audio DSP cards is waiting for a computer with no PCIe slots. I don't know anyone that's considering a new Mac Pro. This may change when real world benchmarks came in. But at the moment I've yet to run into anyone that wants to spend 4k or more on a computer with no expandability plus a couple of grand on thunderbolt accessories.

If anythings holding back HDX sales its these 3 things.

HD Native. HDX's biggest competitor.

The slow roll out of AAX DSP plugs

HD. The target user is still using their system running HD10 while debating to upgrade. Once PT 11 is more widely adopted I would not be surprised to see a avalanche in sales as these guys upgrade. Now whether they go with HDN or HDX is up for grabs. By most accounts the HDN users are pretty happy and there's simply much less of a need for DSP compared to a decade ago. This says more about the viability of HDN then anything against HDX.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I doubt anyone with a interest in PCIe based audio DSP cards is waiting for a computer with no PCIe slots. I don't know anyone that's considering a new Mac Pro. This may change when real world benchmarks came in. But at the moment I've yet to run into anyone that wants to spend 4k or more on a computer with no expandability plus a couple of grand on thunderbolt accessories.

HD. The target user is still using their system running HD10 while debating to upgrade. Once PT 11 is more widely adopted I would not be surprised to see a avalanche in sales as these guys upgrade. Now whether they go with HDN or HDX is up for grabs. By most accounts the HDN users are pretty happy and there's simply much less of a need for DSP compared to a decade ago. This says more about the viability of HDN then anything against HDX.
I´ll add the fact that lots of studios with Control24's and ProControls are not going to upgrade to PT11 because the lack of 64 bit driver for this control surfaces, and the absence of an Avid similar product (price range, #faders) to trade the old surfaces.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo Orozco View Post
I´ll add the fact that lots of studios with Control24's and ProControls are not going to upgrade to PT11 because the lack of 64 bit driver for this control surfaces, and the absence of an Avid similar product (price range, #faders) to trade the old surfaces.
That doesn't block them from using HDX, as it is compatible with PT 10, just not as likely to exchange their old HD system just for the HDX though, but it most likely already happened.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-19-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post

Waiting for new MacPro and a lot more AAX DSP I'm not in the prima donna post world...... way to loud and levels all over the place........
Old 10-23-2013, 09:35 AM

We will be upgrading to HDX as soon as the new MacPros are out and approved by Avid... I'm pretty sure there will be spikes in AVID sales once these new machines are out.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
The market is telling Avid what they should be doing IMO. Selling HDX cards, a la carte for about $5k (preferably a bit less).

Had they done this, AAX DSP would be a FAR more viable platform for 3rd party devs and enjoy a better adoption rate in the field.
YES! Exactly.

Avid has no longer any stance of charging #1 card more than the rest. What we are seeing here are some people who have registered their #1 card and purchased additional cards later only to sell the additional cards away.

Avid should just sell the cards for one price and not think of 1-2-3-X card systems. They only have customers, as I see it.

And if the #1 card really truly must be more expensive, then why not bundle that first card with PTHD license and get done with it? I myself and a healthy amount of others would see it more feasible to have one price for the license and another price for the card. And if any card had same price tag, whether first or tenth, that would make more sense.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 PM

no change.......