Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2022, 10:13 AM

Default I'm Back

Ive been gone for a while but I finally Back

I an starting over as I sold all my equipment a few years ago.
I just want a basic setup

My Mac is
Mac Book Pro
2019 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, type C USB
16 gigs of Ram

Going to try. Pro Tools Studio Subscription version but need an interface
What will work with that, does PT allow 3rd party hardware now
If not what PT Hardware can I buy that will come with a decent PT version

Thanks
Old 09-03-2022, 10:46 AM

Default Re: I'm Back

Pro Tools has cut free of proprietary Digidesign interfaces, that happened way back in Pro Tools 9.

On a Mac any CoreAudio interface will work. There is a wide variety of USB and Thunderbolt interfaces available, I'd avoid old Firewire interfaces.

Many vendors make really great stuff, have a look at (in no order):, Apogee Digital, Focusrite, Universal Audio, Motu, Presonus, RME. Just have fun looking over all that is available online at Vintage King or Sweetwater, and if you have questions ask.

The canonical starter interface often recommended here is the Focusrite 2i2, if you wanted a low cost simple small interface to just get going again that's a safe choice. I'm a big fan of RME interfaces but they tend to be a bit more expensive. There is no end of great stuff out there from all those vendors. If you get stuck ask questions or give your needs/budget and folks will be able to make suggestions.

You can get a free one month trial of Pro Tools Studio. Then just buy a subscription, no need to touch/reinstall any of the software you installed.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:01 AM

I was going to try the 212 but is said it was USB2
My computer had Thunderbolt (USB 3)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I was going to try the 212 but is said it was USB2
My computer had Thunderbolt (USB 3)
Those USB-C ports on your Mac actually do Thunderbolt as well as USB 1, USB 2, USB 3 (technicality some specific variants of USB 3, 3.1, 3.2... because the USB Implementers Forum who come up with this crap are useless and seem to deliberately want to confuse people... but effectively all USB interfaces as well as all Thunderbolt interfaces will work with your Mac).

USB 3 (as opposed to Thunderbolt) interfaces that use a USB-C port can be directly connected to your Mac's USB-C ports with a USB (or Thunderbolt 3/4) cable. USB 3, USB 2 and USB 1 interfaces that use a USA Type A connector can just use the ~$19 Apple USB adapter https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...to-usb-adapter and the usual cable that comes with the interface. Or many Thunderbolt docks, like the very nice ones from OWC, provide multiple USB Type A ports.

USB (vs Thunderbolt) interfaces have the benefit of being compatible with more computers, and working easier with lower-cost/longer USB cables. Some Thunderbolt interfaces may offer lower latency than some USB interfaces, but vendors like RME prove you can get very low/the same latency on USB as Thunderbolt. Some interfaces like Universal Audio Apollo use the extra Thunderbolt bandwidth to run remote DSP processing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:33 PM

Thanks!!!!

Cool so with that adaptor I can use the 212

Looking forward to getting back at it.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:17 PM

To add to what Darryl already told you, the Focusrite 2i2 3rd gen comes with a USB-C to USB-A cable. So all you really need is a USB-A to USB-C adapter or just a USB-C cable altogether.

You can use the $19 apple USB adapter but almost any adapter will work. There are plenty of USB3 type A to C adapters available.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Cool so with that adaptor I can use the 212
Yes.

[edit: delete my comment. its2loud and my messages crossed, I did not mean to repeat what he said about just using a USB-C to USB-C cable, that's good advice and you may already have one (or a USB-C to USB-C Thunderbolt cable will work as well)]

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-03-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
who come up with this crap are useless and seem to deliberately want to confuse people
This made my day, thanks
Old 09-04-2022, 06:37 AM

One more question do I need an iLOK for this PT setup
Old 09-04-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
One more question do I need an iLOK for this PT setup
Ideally yes. At the very least you need an ilok account which needs to be linked with your Avid account.

There a two ways to license Pro Tools.

1. In the cloud using iLok cloud license. However, this is not recommended for long term use. It can be buggy and if you lose internet for any reason, you will not be able to run Pro Tools.

2. Physical iLok key is the preferred method. Physically plugs into you computer and will always licence Pro Tools as long as it’s plugged in. The latest version of the iLok is USB-C so you should have no issues nor need any adapters.
You’ll transfer the Pro Tools license to your iLok using iLok Manager.

One thing to keep in mind is with all of these devices plugged into your MBP, you will run out of ports quickly. 1. Interface 2. iLok 3. Power. Which leaves only one port left for any other device like an external hard drive or second display.

You might consider purchasing a USB-C hub or thunderbolt Dock to expand your connectivity. The options out there are endless. I personally purchased this and it works great on my 2019 MBP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1